Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual Controller / AP Migration to new IP Scheme

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Virtual Controller / AP Migration to new IP Scheme

Posted Aug 12, 2022 11:37 AM
    Hello,
    I have a Virtual Controller with some 50 AP's in production network and need to move all to a newly defined IP Scheme.  We also have a new management vlan.

What would be the process to perform this migration?  

Will this require an outage?  

I was thinking about applying static IP's to all of the AP's, then to the Master, but unsure of the process logically and afraid of loosing connection to the network all-together.

• 2.  RE: Virtual Controller / AP Migration to new IP Scheme

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 12, 2022 02:43 PM
    If access points require a different ip address, you will have to schedule an outage.

if you cut the power to an access point, change the untagged VLAN and then resume power, the access point will obtain the ip address on the new VLAN via dhcp.  You simply would have to do this for all of your access points.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: Virtual Controller / AP Migration to new IP Scheme

Posted Aug 18, 2022 11:12 AM
    AP's will require a different IP.
    As I understand your notes, I'll down the port on the switch, change the VLAN on the port and reboot the AP.  This will force the AP to acquire a new IP on the new scheme. 
    We are running a virtual controller.  When I issue the 'show adp config' command it seems the command isn't valid.  Guessing this is because it's a virtual?  I was hoping to walk the AP's over one by one and not have a system wide outage during the re-addressing event.  It seemed ADP would allow this approach but may not be an option for me?

• 4.  RE: Virtual Controller / AP Migration to new IP Scheme

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 18, 2022 11:39 AM
    You should declare an outage, shut down all the ports.  Change the default VLAN and then bring them back up.  Anything else will have clients roaming from an AP in the current VLAN to an AP in the target VLAN and you will not have good visibility.  Shut down all your ports, make the change to the VLAN and then bring them back up and make sure everything is working off-hours.  You will still need to make sure that if you are using centralized authentication to a radius server that everything works first before users start complaining.

That is my opinion.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card