Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual Controller locally and remotely managed AP 205's?

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  Virtual Controller locally and remotely managed AP 205's?

Posted May 15, 2023 09:55 AM

Hi All,

I have a number of AP 205's which all operate as expected when interconnected on the same network and form a Virtual Controller network.

Is there any way of making one (or more) of these 205's a remote AP but managed with the same Virtual Controller setup?

I am trying to add controlled/managed Wireless to a remote office.

------------------------------
    Bill.

• 2.  RE: Virtual Controller locally and remotely managed AP 205's?

MVP GURU
    Posted May 15, 2023 10:37 AM

If you mean IAP cluster supporting a remote AP (RAP)?

You will need a Mobility Gateway to have an AP perform as a RAP. You can however configure the AP as its own IAP cluster (copy most of the config over form current IAP cluster) and set up VPN tunnels between the two clusters. IAP clusters need to be L2 adjacent for the clustering to work.

Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022-2023
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: Virtual Controller locally and remotely managed AP 205's?

Posted May 16, 2023 08:32 AM

Thank you.

That was as I feared - I need to add more technology.

Can I use a 3200XM as a physical controller with the AP 205's? (I got one in the box with the AP's) - It does not appear to be able to automatically detect the AP's when it is on the same network, so I guess some configuration is needed.....

• 4.  RE: Virtual Controller locally and remotely managed AP 205's?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 30, 2023 07:52 AM

One can use a 3200XM as a controller for AP-205s. the 3200XM only supports AOS 6.4

The APs will discover the controller via:
    DHCP option 60/43
    DNS resolution of aruba-master
    ADP - multicast Aruba Discovery Protocol
    - hard coding each AP in apboot level with the IP address of the 3200XM.

Perhaps the easiest is to configure the 3200XM as DHCPD for the VLAN where the APs are connected, it will provide it's controller-ip in option 43.

In the 3200XM, we should see log messages and datapath traffic from the APs as they connect.
    show ap database
    show datapath session | inc <AP IP>

If the AP-205s are operating as controller-based AP, and the 3200XM has a relatively basic configuration, and the network between 3200XM and the APs allows bcast/mcast - i'd expect the ADP to work.

If the AP-205s are currently running IAP software 6.5 and above, they should use UAP discovery, find the controller and try to convert - which AOS 6.4 cannot accommodate, so one might have to outfit the IAPs with AOS controller-based AP software, and then connect them to the 3200XM with AOS 6.4 

Reference:
    https://blogs.arubanetworks.com/solutions/aruba-unified-ap-platform/

Hope this helps.