SD-WAN

View Only
last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Forum to discuss HPE Aruba EdgeConnect SD-WAN and SD-Branch solutions. This includes SD-WAN Orchestration WAN edge network functions - routing, security, zone-based firewall, segmentation and WAN optimization, micro-branch solutions, best practics, and third-party integrations. All things SD-WAN!
Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual Gateway capped/unusable

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  Virtual Gateway capped/unusable

Posted 14 days ago

I have a strange problem with my virtual gateway, although I opened a TAC Case I thought, let's throw it out here in parallel

Although I was initially happy that I was able to configure a Gateway through Aruba Central, it turns out it is actually pretty unusable

Yes, I can ping from a remote location, resources in my private network and even sluggishly log into a server, the performance is however extremely poor

I did an Iperf from the remote client to the server and got the results depicted below

An iperf test from the LAN interface on the Virtual gateway gives a similar result.

When I use an Ubuntu server on the same ESXi Host and subnet I get normal results (940 Mbps)

It appears that there is some kind of CAP on the Virtual Gateway, but I cannot recall reading anything about a bandwidth license I need to install. In the configuration I did find this command, but I cannot really find much about it's purpose: system system-bandwidth-contract mbits 1

Any suggestions are welcome, otherwise I will update the group on my progress

------------------------------
    Martijn van Overbeek
    Architect, Netcraftsmen a BlueAlly Company

• 2.  RE: Virtual Gateway capped/unusable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 14 days ago

The system bandwidth contract should be 500 Mbps. if your vGateway is VG500. as you know you can get VGateways for 500Mbps/2Gbps/4Gbps

what Firmware version are you using on your vgateway?

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Virtual Gateway capped/unusable

Posted 13 days ago

I am using AOS 10.4.1.1_89267, any other (higher) version will not register in Aruba Central, which is a completely all different option. 

Martijn van Overbeek

• 4.  RE: Virtual Gateway capped/unusable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 13 days ago

so you are using vg500? anyway see what TAC advises, but i think yu need to rebuild your vgateway, as the system bandwidth contract should be 500 Mbps for a vg500 and so on.

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 5.  RE: Virtual Gateway capped/unusable

Posted 13 days ago
    Hi Ariyap,

Yes we spend a good 1,5 hours troubleshooting. I am waiting ing on hearing back. I let Aruba central configure it and we confirmed that we were unable to do anything with contracts in central on the UI. The TAC engineer said he rarely has any cases on the gateway on ESXi. Very strange I find that. I am determined to fix it and when I finally have it operational I will update the instructions on airheads

Have a nice weekend

• 6.  RE: Virtual Gateway capped/unusable

Posted 9 days ago

I was troubleshooting the same issue for a customer in Azure, they had two VGWs connected via Hub Mesh.

I did a diff of the config and discovered that one of the VGWs was missing the command 'system-bandwidth-contract mbits 500'.

From what I understand, this command should get added automatically when the gateway was deployed.

In our case the deployment is a manual VGW deployment (as opposed to orchestrated).

Not sure if it is related to licensing being removed/re-assigned and if a simple reboot would have fixed it?

In any case, I was able to resolve the issue by pushing the command 'system-bandwidth-contract mbits 500' using the CaaS API.

https://github.com/michaelrosejr/arubacentralcaas

• 7.  RE: Virtual Gateway capped/unusable

Posted 8 days ago

Thanks for sharing! That looks extremely useful! I wanted to tackle the Aruba API but pushed it off till now. I will review the code and see if I can play around with it. 

Martijn van Overbeek

• 8.  RE: Virtual Gateway capped/unusable

Posted 7 days ago

Ya we deployed everything Manually essentially(used terraform, but did manually to start out), and have had none of the bandwidth issues.  We are incredibly happy with how everything works, and how easy everything is to deploy.

Just double checking that you created the system information in Central before deploying?  I am sure you probably did as I don't think it will deploy without it, but double checking.  One of the options says how large(how much bandwidth) the system will have.

• 9.  RE: Virtual Gateway capped/unusable

Posted 6 days ago

I wasn't able to use the script, unfortunately I don't think it is maintained, it was 2 years old and I ran into a whole bunch of dependency issues even in the venv. My python has gotten a bit rusty over the years so I parked it for now. I was able to resolve it by issuing the commands:

disaster-recovery on

configuring : "system-bandwidth-contract mbits 500", saving the configuration and then go out of disaster-recovery. To my surprise after doing this the command disappears completely from the configuration. All solved now

Martijn van Overbeek