Community Feedback

View Only
last person joined: 4 days ago 

How is the community doing? Do you have any questions or feedback related for the Airheads Community team? This is the place to let us know.
Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual MC Issue

This thread has been viewed 48 times
  • 1.  Virtual MC Issue

Posted Sep 25, 2023 10:47 AM

Hello,

We have Virtual Aruba Mobility Controller, version is 8.3.0.10, deployed in ESXi infrastructure. We have issue with vMotion. When our vMC is placed on one ESXi host everything is ok, clients can connect to the SSID, vMC can see AP-s and so on. But when we do vMotion to another ESXi host (They are in cluster) clients cant connect to the SSID, vMC cant see APs. And I have question - is it Firmware issue? 

P.S Vlans are correctly enable on all ports, I have checked it several times. 

• 2.  RE: Virtual MC Issue

MVP
    Posted Sep 25, 2023 11:19 AM

In the User guide it states:

VMware's vMotion can be used to change both compute and storage resources and to migrate virtual machines between vCenter Server instances. However, these types of migrations are not supported on Aruba Mobility Conductor Virtual Appliance and Mobility Controller Virtual Appliance.

Aruba OS 8.9.0 WebHelp

------------------------------
    Shpat | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP |
    -Just an Aruba enthusiast and contributor by cases-

• 3.  RE: Virtual MC Issue

Posted Sep 25, 2023 11:27 AM

Thanks for your reply, but how I can provide HA in my case? I mean, if my ESXi Host 1 go down, it will move to the ESXi Host 2, but nothing will works...
    What is the solution? 

• 4.  RE: Virtual MC Issue

MVP
    Posted Sep 25, 2023 11:30 AM

You can deploy two vMC, 1 for each host. Then you can do multiple types of Redundancy scenarios, such as HA or VRRP. Keep both VMs up and running 

• 5.  RE: Virtual MC Issue

Posted Sep 25, 2023 11:31 AM

Ok, But what about licensing? I have licenses just for one Appliance 

• 6.  RE: Virtual MC Issue

MVP
    Posted Sep 25, 2023 11:47 AM

As far as i know, the VMC license is a sharable license. 
    Check the licensing-guide: Aruba OS8.3 Licensing Guide

• 7.  RE: Virtual MC Issue

Posted Sep 26, 2023 07:06 AM

Thanks for your reply. But lets assume that we have VSAN infrastructure where we have for example 10+ ESXi hosts and as I know in VSAN technology any machne at any time can be placed at any ESXi hosts and how need to configure HA in such scenario?

• 8.  RE: Virtual MC Issue

Posted Sep 27, 2023 07:56 AM

Hello, still would like to know how it works

• 9.  RE: Virtual MC Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2023 10:29 AM

As mentioned above and linked to the documentation, vMotion migrations are not supported. The high availability scenario for Virtual Mobility Controllers (vMC)/Virtual Mobility Conductors (vMCr) leverages network redundancy mechanisms like VRRP and resource clustering for uptime. There are too many variables and variations with vSAN and vMotion environments to be able to predict and validate a consistent experience.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.