Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

VLAN and Trunk setup help with Aruba 3810M

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  VLAN and Trunk setup help with Aruba 3810M

Posted Dec 31, 2022 06:47 PM
    Good day,

I have an Aruba 6300M with Firmware 10.05 and an Aruba 3810M with Firmware 16.10. Both are at different physical locations within a building, but are connected together over fiber. 

Both are configured with their VLAN's identically with VLAN's 1, 3, and 7. 

I set up some WIFI AP's that can broadcast 2 SSID's from VLAN 1 and 7, and I got them connected and working with the 6300M as the following from the interface: VLAN Mode: Trunk (Native Untagged) - VLAN: 1 - Trunk Allowed: 1, 7. I did this through SSH, but could also configure it through logging into the switch on a browser.

The SSH commands are not the same and the interface is completely different on a browser with the 3810M! I used the command 'VLAN trunk allow 1', 'VLAN trunk allow 7' on the 6300M but that does not work on the 3810M. Through research I thought maybe I needed to setup a Trunk,  so I did create Trk1 but each time when I try to point the port/interface I want (eth-7) it doesn't include the additional VLAN. For instance at this moment, the VLAN table show's  both VLAN 1 and 7 having port 7 Untagged, and Trk1 Tagged. However, eth-7 port has no connection to neither VLAN so something is setup wrong. 

I had found and used a command-line interface guide for the 6300M, but could only find a management and configuration guide for the 3810M. It just doesn't have what I'm looking for (as far as I could find). Online research has lead to commands that just don't work either. I feel like I'm one or 2 simple lines of code away from what I need. Please help, and thank you.

• 2.  RE: VLAN and Trunk setup help with Aruba 3810M
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 31, 2022 07:47 PM
    Hi! ArubaOS-Switch (running on Aruba 3810M switch series) uses a very different CLI grammar if compared to ArubaOS-CX (running on Aruba CX 6300M switch series) and a Port Trunk logical interface (Trk) on AOS-S means Links Aggregation and not, as you would think an interface operating in Trunk mode (as you configured in AOS-CX using the trunk mode of operation command). The above means that on Aruba 3810M an interface operates in trunk mode (carrying required VLANs) when you configure it to be (example) an Untagged member of VLAN x (Native) and Tagged member of VLAN y (and so on...). Forget about Trk interface for the moment.

Do:

config
    vlan x
    untagged <interface>
    exit
    vlan y
    tagged <interface>
    exit
    write memory
    exit
    show vkans port ethernet <interface> details

• 3.  RE: VLAN and Trunk setup help with Aruba 3810M

Posted Jan 03, 2023 11:12 AM
    Thank you for the reply. 

I have applied the commands you gave. My results are that I don't receive access to VLAN 7's network but I do have connectivity to VLAN 1's. This is what's displayed.
    show vlans port ethernet 7 details
    VLAN ID - Name - Status - Voice - Jumbo - Mode
    1 - VLAN1 - Port-based - No - No - Untagged
    7 - VLAN7 - Port-based - No - No - Tagged

For reference, the 6300M that works has these setting when entering:
    show vlan port #/#/#
    VLAN - Name - Mode - Mapping
    1 - VLAN1 - native-untagged - port
    7 - VLAN7 - trunk - port​

• 4.  RE: VLAN and Trunk setup help with Aruba 3810M

Posted Jan 05, 2023 01:42 PM
    I got this to work from your suggestion. I had forgotten an unmanaged switch was in between my devices and Aruba switch. Once that was removed, my AP was broadcasting correctly. Thank you