Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 5 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

VLAN Pools and DHCP scope exhaustion

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  VLAN Pools and DHCP scope exhaustion

Posted 14 days ago

Hi

I've just implemented VLAN Pooling for a client whose IP range does not, for various reasons, allow for one contiguous /21 to be assigned to their main wifi vlan. I've had to split out a few contiguous /24s and /23s from the /21 and define multiple (3) vlans on their switches (2930s and 2530s). 

The relevant bits from the instant config:

vlan-name wifi-2

vlan-name wifi-3

vlan-name wifi-1

vlan wifi-2 21

vlan wifi-3 22

vlan wifi-1 20

and

wlan ssid-profile "xxx Primary School"

enable

index 0

type employee

essid "xxx Primary School"

wpa-passphrase xxx

opmode wpa2-psk-aes

max-authentication-failures 0

vlan 20,21,22

rf-band all

captive-portal disable

dtim-period 1

broadcast-filter arp

g-min-tx-rate 11

a-min-tx-rate 24

dmo-channel-utilization-threshold 90

local-probe-req-thresh 0

max-clients-threshold 128

The issue we're seeing is that clients seem to get allocated one of the three vlans just fine and lease an address from the DHCP server. But once that particular VLAN's DHCP scope is full the Instant controller doesn't seem to know about this and so the client simply can't lease an address and the user is left without Internet access. When I've implemented VLAN pooling on some other vendors equipment there has been an option to tell the wifi controller how many IP addresses are in the scope or set a maximum number of clients per vlan member of the pool. Is there anything like this with Instant (v8) otherwise I can't see the feature being of much use?

Many thanks

• 2.  RE: VLAN Pools and DHCP scope exhaustion

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 14 days ago

VLAN pooling is not recommended in general for WLAN (with Aruba). The recommended approach is to have a single VLAN and use broadcast/multicast control to avoid the reason that you have smaller subnets on most wired networks. What you describe would be expected as the AP does not track DHCP scopes, and due to the distributed nature of Instant APs, it would be hard to track if scopes are full. Also, IF you use pooled VLANs, make sure that all subnets are of an equal size as clients will be (more or less, statistically) equally distributed over the different VLANs. With unequal sizes, if one out of 3 VLANs runs out of the DHCP scope, one third (statistically) of new clients won't get an IP. With statistically, I mean that a 'hash' of the client MAC address is used to determine to what VLAN a client is assigned; this is one of the few methods that work in a distributed environment.

I would go back to your customer and explain that not allowing /21s is breaking the design rules, wastes available IP addresses and results in the issues that you have seen. If you allocate 3x /21, it should be good, and if you stay below the maximum number of clients per VLAN (which may be what the customer tries to achieve/means), you'll get a similar result. But, I would just stay away from VLAN pooling unless you absolutely have to, and in that case design accordingly.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: VLAN Pools and DHCP scope exhaustion

Posted 12 days ago

Thank you for the information, Herman. I will go back and discuss with the customer and propose a new design.

Best wishes