Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VoIP Configuration issues

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  VoIP Configuration issues

Posted Mar 24, 2023 10:38 AM

Hi Everyone,

Rather new here and also newly appointed network engineer, so if this isn't the correct community, please point me in the right way.

I have inherited a site which is setup with AP 505, and a local Aruba controller version 8.7.1.3. I'm working on getting them into a Aruba Central Cloud controller, but that's a different story and might take a while.

The problem this site is experiencing is that wireless VoIP calls through the provider(3CX) with the mobile app are very hit and miss, connection and quality wise. Sometimes the call doesn't even connect. The deskphones(wired) they are using, have no problems whatsoever, unless they are trying to call their co-workers on the mobile app.

There is no seperate SSID for VoIP, nor a VLAN specifically for VoIP. The thing is that they want to connect to one SSID for employees, and have all services available.

There is a second site, which is using a different brand of AP's, and they do not experience any of these problems. Some users travel between these locations who confirm the second site works without any problems. I will get access to this soon enough, and then I know if they have a seperate VLAN for VoIP to compare it to.

As I'm not very experienced with the Aruba AP's I was wondering if any of you have had similar problems, or know of any good VoIP resources I can go through? Perhaps the lack of a VLAN is the reason why they are experiencing these issues.

I've been looking for the documentation on the Aruba website, but it looks rather different from what I have in this controller so sometimes I can't find an option so I'm unsure if I can use any of them.

Many thanks to anyone helping and/or pointing me in the right direction.

Kind regards,

Raoul

• 2.  RE: VoIP Configuration issues

Posted Mar 24, 2023 11:13 AM

Are they using IOS/Android phone and the Voice APP is installed on the mobile phone? If it is, did you check if the FT 802.11r is enabled on the SSID? 

• 3.  RE: VoIP Configuration issues

Posted Mar 27, 2023 01:55 AM

Hi and thanks for replying.

They are both iOS and Android actually, with the Voice App installed indeed. I am going on prem in an hour or so, so then I can check the SSID settings.

Kind regards,

Raoul

• 4.  RE: VoIP Configuration issues

Posted Mar 27, 2023 08:08 AM

If FT is set,  also check if WIFI calling ALG is enabled. ALG should be enabled by default. 

Wi-Fi Calling

Arubanetworks remove preview
    Wi-Fi Calling
    Wi-FiWi-Fi is a technology that allows electronic devices to connect to a WLAN network, mainly using the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio bands. Wi-Fi can apply to products that use any 802.11 standard.
    View this on Arubanetworks >