Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VOIP Phone on AP303H

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  VOIP Phone on AP303H

Posted May 23, 2022 10:31 AM
    I'm experimenting with connecting a VOIP Phone (Specifically a Polycom VVX350) to one of the wired ports on a AP303H.  We're implementing a new VOIP phone system this summer, and have AP303H's in many of our offices, so this is a configuration that I want to be able to support.  Initially I plugged the phone in and it came online and everything was working.  I then left it plugged in over the weekend, and when I came in to my office today the phone was offline.  After power cycling it it came back online.  My as of yet unproven theory is that the phone didn't generate enough traffic over the weekend and the  access point decided that it was idle and safe to forget its mac address.

Does any one have any tips for how to  configure an ap303h and a voip phone to get along with one another successfully?  Is there a setting I can change regarding how long it takes the conroller to forget an idle client?

------------------------------
    Adam Forsyth

• 2.  RE: VOIP Phone on AP303H

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 23, 2022 06:18 PM
    Do you have it on an untrusted port?  Is it pingable when it is "dead"?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: VOIP Phone on AP303H

Posted May 24, 2022 09:43 AM
    Yes, I'm pretty sure its trusted,  but i haven't looked at that in the config in a long time, so i just tried to verify and I don't see the config options I think i remember being in there for the wired ports.  I'll have to google search for where those have ended up.

Anyway when i first connect the phone, it gets an ip address like a working device should and works just fine on the network.  My laptop will do the same.  After it's been online for a while its connection stops and i can no longer ping it.  My experimentation yesterday makes me think that happens after about 4 hours, but didn't time it very carefully.

Today I had the thought that i wondered what would happen if i tried the ping diagnostic function on the phone when it is in this non working state.  I started a ping /t to the ip of the phone from my laptop, and since the phone is in the timed out state, that  doesn't respond.  Then i asked the phone to ping 8.8.8.8, and it said it failed.  I thought that might make the pings from my computer start getting responses, but it did not.  Then I power cycled the phone. once it booted back up,the pings immediately started completing.  It seems like this test is counter evidence to my original theory that the mac address of the phone is being aged out, but I'm not sure what to make of this additional information either.

--
    Adam Forsyth
    Director of Network and Systems
    Information Technology Services
    P 563.387.1402 E forsytad@luther.edu
    W http://www.luther.edu

• 4.  RE: VOIP Phone on AP303H

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2022 10:13 AM
    It is important to know if it is trusted or not, because an untrusted port would typically have an ACL attached to it.  The phone would also end up in the user table and then if it doesn't pass traffic after a specific period of time, it would be aged out and unreachable.

If it is trusted, you would have to look at a different avenue of troubleshooting.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card