Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

VRRP configuration Aruba 5406R ZL2

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  VRRP configuration Aruba 5406R ZL2

Posted Feb 14, 2024 06:54 AM

Hi everyone,

I would like to have some explanations on the operation and configuration of VRRP with 2 Aruba 5406R ZL2 switches (J9850A), both in KB.16.11.0016 version.

They will each be installed in 1 server room, interconnected with 2 fibers in trunk mode, as shown in the diagram below:

In the event of interconnection interruption for maintenance purposes, for example, the VRRP would be useful to keep routing functional locally in server room A, or B.

But I'm having a bit of trouble configuring VRRP, as I'm not entirely familiar with how the 5406R ZL2 works.

There are 19 VLANs to which I would like VRRP, here is an example of configuration on switch A :

router vrrp
       ipv4 enable
       nonstop
       exit
    vlan 1
       ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.0.0
       vrrp vrid 1
          virtual-ip-address 10.1.1.1
          priority 255
          enable
          exit
       exit
    vlan 2
       ip address 10.2.1.1 255.255.0.0
       vrrp vrid 1
          virtual-ip-address 10.2.1.1
          priority 255
          enable
          exit
       exit
    vlan 3
       ip address 10.3.1.1 255.255.0.0
       vrrp vrid 1
          virtual-ip-address 10.3.1.1
          priority 255
          enable
          exit
       exit
    vlan 4
       ip address 10.4.1.254 255.255.255.0
       vrrp vrid 1
          virtual-ip-address 10.4.1.1
          priority 1
          enable
          exit
       exit

And for switch B:

router vrrp
       ipv4 enable
       nonstop
       exit
    vlan 1
       ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.0.0
       vrrp vrid 1
          virtual-ip-address 10.1.1.1
          enable
          exit
       exit
    vlan 2
       ip address 10.2.1.2 255.255.0.0
       vrrp vrid 1
          virtual-ip-address 10.2.1.1
          enable
          exit
       exit
    vlan 3
       ip address 10.3.1.2 255.255.0.0
       vrrp vrid 1
          virtual-ip-address 10.3.1.1
          enable
          exit
       exit
    vlan 4
       ip address 10.4.1.1 255.255.255.0
       vrrp vrid 1
          virtual-ip-address 10.4.1.1
          priority 255
          enable
          exit
       exit

When the switches are interconnected, switch A is master on all VLANs with VRRP, except vlan 4, which is master on switch B.

Except that, when I disconnect the interconnect, on switch A, only the VRRP of vlan 1 remains in master, but no other VRRP passes in master on the other vlans, they remain blocked in initialization.

For switch B, some VRRPs are mastered, but the others remain blocked in initialization.

I've read that VRRP initialization can take some time, but even after 2 hours, they remain in this state.

I found this topic: https://community.arubanetworks.com/discussion/vrrp-config-1

But I don't really understand the configuration given in this topic.

Could you give me some explanations?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Clippy_XP

PS: I apologize for the mistakes in my message, I'm not very good at English...

• 2.  RE: VRRP configuration Aruba 5406R ZL2

Posted Feb 15, 2024 02:00 AM

Hi, I do not know how you are testing this but can I check that you are not putting two switches in a lab with no other connections?

If there are no active connections to a switch then the VLAN would be "down". VRRP will not become master if that is true.

Test with any device connected to a port and tag all vlans to it. This will keep all VLANs active during a test in a lab.

Also add pre-empt to the config on each so that they return to the original state when the main connection is fixed:    vrrp vrid 1 preempt-mode

• 3.  RE: VRRP configuration Aruba 5406R ZL2

Posted Feb 15, 2024 02:26 AM

Hi,

Indeed, I'm testing the 2 switches in a lab without any other connection on them at the moment. I was totally unaware that if there is no active connection, the VLAN is deactivated... Thanks for the information!

Concerning the VRRP configuration, is it correct? Do you have to set the vrid to 1 on each VLAN?

Should the preempt-mode be configured only on backup VRRPs?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

• 4.  RE: VRRP configuration Aruba 5406R ZL2

Posted Feb 15, 2024 02:35 AM

Hi, you put the same config on both boxes (except the priority). For many operating systems preempt is on by default (so therefore set on both boxes).

For the VRID, I have always set a different VRID for each instance. It sometimes helps with troubleshooting. Technically it is only relevant within the VLAN. It has no effect unless there are other VRRP instances on the VLAN.

I had a situation where VRRP was failing on one VLAN that I set the value to default. This was because two servers (which I have no visibility of) also used VRRP with the default. So always set the VRID to non-default.

• 5.  RE: VRRP configuration Aruba 5406R ZL2

Posted Feb 15, 2024 04:02 AM

Hi,

Is it better to configure another VRID as a precaution in case a server also has its own VRRP?

I have another question, in what situation is there a need to configure a second VRID on the same vlan?

Thank you!

Best regards,

• 6.  RE: VRRP configuration Aruba 5406R ZL2

Posted Feb 15, 2024 04:10 AM
    Hi, you need to ensure a unique VRID per VLAN.
    So if you change from VRID 1 to VRID 22 it means servers using VRRP and VRID 1 will not cause a problem.
    However, if you move from VRID 1 to VRID 22 and the servers are already using VRID 22, you create the problem.
    Therefore you need to know what is using VRRP on your network and select a unique VRID

You do not need to have a unique VRID on each VLAN for it to work correctly. You could use the same VRID for all VLANs.
    I find that a unique VRID for each VLAN is useful for troubleshooting. For example a packet capture or debug output can be identified as belonging to a VLAN more easily. But this is not a high priority for most people.

• 7.  RE: VRRP configuration Aruba 5406R ZL2

Posted Feb 15, 2024 09:30 AM

Hi,

Okay, I understand better now.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,