Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

VXLAN GBP deployment and access-points

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  VXLAN GBP deployment and access-points

Posted 19 days ago

I am trying to understand how Aruba does a VXLAN-based microsegmentation solutions and getting stuck understanding how  the solution integrates with access-points. I think I 'get' how role assignment takes place when accessing the network in conjunction with Clearpass and the provisioning in Aruba Central with Netconductor, but I do not understand how this works on the access-points.

Assuming the Access-point is the NAS/NAD which communicates with Clearpass, how do the Edge devices learn about the role of a Wireless client? Is the solution to tunnel all users to the gateway. 

Hope someone can point me to a deepdive document that runs through the architecture. 

------------------------------
    Martijn van Overbeek
    Architect, Netcraftsmen a BlueAlly Company

• 2.  RE: VXLAN GBP deployment and access-points

Posted 19 days ago

I think I found my answer in this document https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/central/2.5.6/content/pdfs/aruba-central-netconductor.pdf

It states that the Wireless infrastructure is not participating in the GBP enabled microsegmentation solution. And that all traffic is tunneled to the Gateways.

I hope that Aruba will follow other vendors and does allow for APs to participate in the VXLAN fabric/role enforcement to allow for more optimal traffic flows.

Martijn van Overbeek

• 3.  RE: VXLAN GBP deployment and access-points

Posted 19 days ago

Martijn,

If you have a good thoughts how VXLAN on the APs would improve security, maintainability or other factors, please reach out to your local Aruba Team. With gateways (that can participate in VXLAN/GBP) you have a much simpler and more scalable solution that provides micro-segmentation, statefullness, role-role, but in addition application control/visibility, QoS. Management/monitoring is also much easier with a centralized data path. With bridged networks (AOS10), you can do quite some similar without gateways or VXLAN. Not sure why other vendors do this (can't speak for them, nor I can for Aruba), except for that it sounds reasonable or logical.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 4.  RE: VXLAN GBP deployment and access-points

Posted 19 days ago

Hi Herman,

I will do some additional research on this and see what I can learn from our local team here regarding their thoughts on this. I can imagine that full BGP-EVPN on an AP is a bit much and probably requires additional memory and more costly ASICs but maybe there is some middle ground with static VXLAN tunnels from the AP (orchestrated through the controller) and let the controller handle BGP-EVPN. I will reach out and see what I can learn. Thank you

Martijn van Overbeek