Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

What happen to users if CAP with bridge mode ssid loses connection to controller?

This thread has been viewed 33 times
  • 1.  What happen to users if CAP with bridge mode ssid loses connection to controller?

Posted Mar 05, 2024 04:48 PM

Hello there;

I have the next scenario: 2 controllers 1 mobility conductor, CAPs and Bridge Mode SSID.

My doubt is, if the cap loses conection with the controller, the ssid (bridge mode) still works? because bridge mode forward the traffic locally so i presume this should be work, but not sure, cause in a test the ssid went down when the communication failed between CAPs and controllers.

Thanks for your help.

• 2.  RE: What happen to users if CAP with bridge mode ssid loses connection to controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 05, 2024 05:16 PM

is this in reference with AOS10?

if so then the AP will operate like before as there is no dependency on the gateways for its operation.

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: What happen to users if CAP with bridge mode ssid loses connection to controller?

Posted Mar 06, 2024 07:42 AM

Thanks for your reply, i forgot mention that is running on AS 8.10.0.8

• 4.  RE: What happen to users if CAP with bridge mode ssid loses connection to controller?

Posted Mar 06, 2024 07:24 AM

You wrote that you have 1 mobility conductor with 2 controllers - in this case it must be an AOS 8 system. 
    A CAP in AOS 8 design requires a continuous connection to the mobility controller, regardless of the transport mode. If it loses the connection, it will boot.

Regards,

Waldemar
    ACCX # 1377, ACEP, ACX - Network Security
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 5.  RE: What happen to users if CAP with bridge mode ssid loses connection to controller?

Posted Mar 06, 2024 07:44 AM

Thats right, thanks for your reply, the platform´s running AS 8.10.0.8; so in that case, it would be convenient change de Operation mode from CAP to RAP? or what would be the solution when the APs lose connection with Controller, and guaranteed the users remain their forwarding traffic locally?

• 6.  RE: What happen to users if CAP with bridge mode ssid loses connection to controller?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 06, 2024 12:37 PM

Yes, RAP would be one of the possibilities. You could set SSID operation mode to always, then the SSID will always be broadcast. This only works with PSK SSIDs. The roaming behavior with RAPs is not so good, you could use them for small branch offices. Different operation modes are explained here.

You can also adjust some parameters so that the AP waits longer before booting. You can use this if the line to the mobility controller is unstable. This is described in this article.

In larger branch offices, I (and Aruba too) recommend using a small mobility controller. Then the APs have a permanent connection to the controller, and if the connection between the mobility controller and mobility conductor is lost, it has no effect on the AP operation.

Regards,

Waldemar
    ACCX # 1377, ACEP, ACX - Network Security
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution