Wired

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

where is the logic in the AOS-CX CLI?

This thread has been viewed 41 times
  • 1.  where is the logic in the AOS-CX CLI?

Posted Jan 02, 2024 11:52 AM

For the past 20 (?) years I have been configuring HP switches. The logic in the config has always been obvious to me. I have been configuring them for the most part through the CLI and barely ever used the menu or web interface.

Now I have one of those new CX things and I cannot find the logic in it. For instance if I want to config a vlan I now have to use 3 different sections to define the vlan. First some basic stuff like the ID and the name using the vlan statement. Then when I want the vlan to have an ip number I have to treat it as if it is an interface. But interfaces have stuff like speed, flow-control, etc. and a vlan does not have those. Finaly when I want to tell which ports are part of the vlan I have to go to each port individually and tell it is is part of the vlan, it cannot be done from within the vlan statement as far as I kow.

Now assigning vlans via the interface is something I have always wanted as that seems logical when adding a device on a port, great but uh, oh yeah somehow when assigning multiple vlans to a port you sort of need to tell the switch to keep track of it by adding tag. But then what happens if you do not tag the vlan traffic? Does it all go  together untagged over the line? Isn't that what the "trunk" parameter takes care of?

Is there anywhere a document that explains the logic behind it all? That would sure help trying to make sense of it.

Switching a 3810 for a CX6300 is "a bit of work" to get the startup config correct. ;-)

• 2.  RE: where is the logic in the AOS-CX CLI?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 03, 2024 04:14 AM

Interesting... I heard for years people complaining that moving from another brand to HPE Aruba Networking was hard. AOS-CX changed a bit to what other vendors in the market do configuration wise to make it easier. Others can probably explain it much better, but for me the main difference between ArubaOS Switch (like the 3810) and AOS-CX (like CX6300) is that in ArubaOS Switch you have VLANs that you provide with an IP address then add ports to the VLAN (tagged or untagged), with AOS-CX you have interfaces and you add VLANs to it, tagged or untagged. But IP config is done on the VLAN/VLAN-interface and speeds on the interface as that is the physical connection to the outside world. And one other big difference on ArubaOS Switch, a trunk is combining multiple phystical interfaces to one logical interface. On AOS-CX that's called a Link Aggregation (LAG). And 'switchport mode trunk' on AOS-CX is about which VLANs should be tagged on the interface (or lag). If you are not aware of the difference in terminology, you may indeed get confused.

If you want to learn more, there is a nice guide that has side-by-side the ArubaOS-Switch commands and the AOS-CX commands.

Also, here are some nice lab guides that get you started, using the AOS-CX Switch simulator.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: where is the logic in the AOS-CX CLI?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 03, 2024 07:07 AM
      |   view attached

The configuration of AOS-CX switches is interface-based compared to AOS-S switches which is more VLAN/feature-based. The below presentation should give you some information on how you deal with interoberability between AOS-CX and AOS-S switches. 
    The manuals "AOS-CX 10.13 Layer-2 Bridging Guide" have comparing VLAN commands between the two operating systems. 
    There are also free online courses for switching and the HPE book store for more information, see end of presentation.

Once you have a bit of experience you will find the new CLI much more consistent than the former one. Especially using "interface ranges" speed up configuring a device.

• 4.  RE: where is the logic in the AOS-CX CLI?

Posted Jan 04, 2024 07:07 AM

Thank you, that "Intro and interoperability" document is what I was looking for, strange that thios was only just published. It seems that was something that would be needed from day one.

Now all I need to find out if there is a bug in that documentation because some mentioned I need to not just use vlan trunk allowed <vlans> but alsso an aditional tag parameter. Hoewever that does not seems to be in the docs so I will test it first as shown in this document.

• 5.  RE: where is the logic in the AOS-CX CLI?

Posted Jan 10, 2024 10:37 AM

When following the link above, for some kind of reason I cannot find that intro and interop document anymore...

Was it un-published or so? Can you post the link again to the document pls?

• 6.  RE: where is the logic in the AOS-CX CLI?

Posted Jan 11, 2024 04:46 AM

I can still see the document, as an attachment in the reply by Holger Hasenaug.I can still open it. If you do not see the reply Holger Hasenaug posted go back to the discussion list to see my original post and then go down in the replies.

• 7.  RE: where is the logic in the AOS-CX CLI?

Posted Jan 11, 2024 06:34 AM

OK, found it, thanks.

Very usefull.

Can this document be shared, so is this public, or is this for partners only?

I don't see it mentioned anywhere?

• 8.  RE: where is the logic in the AOS-CX CLI?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2024 06:42 AM

There is not partner only information in there and the Airheads Community is public (registration required) therefore also for customers.  So you can share it. 

• 9.  RE: where is the logic in the AOS-CX CLI?

Posted Jan 11, 2024 06:45 AM

Perfect, thanks !