Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wired Client with Wireless Bridge

This thread has been viewed 31 times
  • 1.  Wired Client with Wireless Bridge

Posted Nov 15, 2022 12:05 PM
    Good morning,

Any suggestions on configuration of a wired client with a wireless bridge. I am trying to setup these bridges to wirelessly connect some older wired only medical devices in our facility.

I have some older Aruba 501 Client Bridges which I am unable to get a stable connection on the wireless side, I am seeing the wireless connect and disconnect after some time client trail info shows unspecified error. 

I also purchased some Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M5 APs and am able to get them to work in router mode but not Bridge mode. The Ubiquiti bridges are stable on the wireless but the wired client continuously try to pull an IP and depletes the DHCP scope with BAD addresses.

I feel there is a setting in the VAP config that is killing multiple clients behind 1 wireless MAC or something security wise. I have the default setting on Max IP per wireless user of 2

I also have saw some saying that Convert ARP to Unicast needs turned off, it is on by default. I have adjusted this to off in the test lab with no changes on pulling DHCP through the wireless bridge or the 501 behavior.

I have a TAC case open on the original Aruba 501 issue but havent heard back. We are running 8.10.0.4 in the Lab.

Thanks,
    Chris

• 2.  RE: Wired Client with Wireless Bridge

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 15, 2022 04:34 PM
    What kind of encryption are you using on the wireless that is configured on that bridge?  Is the bridge updated to the latest firmware (https://asp.arubanetworks.com/downloads/software/RmlsZTo5ZDIzZGI2MC04YTRlLTExZWMtODY2YS02YjQxMDk4YTljOGI%3D).

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: Wired Client with Wireless Bridge

Posted Nov 16, 2022 09:27 AM
    We use WPA2 with EAP PEAP/MSChapv2 for these devices. The 501 bridge is running the latest firmware. 

When the 501 initially connects it is stable for about 15-20 seconds then it starts disconnecting and reconnecting. I have tried both a DHCP and a Static IP on the 501 and the same weird reauths occur. This occurs even without a wired device connected to the 501 bridge.

-CC

• 4.  RE: Wired Client with Wireless Bridge

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2022 09:33 AM
    Is the bridge connecting on the 802.11a or 802.11g band?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: Wired Client with Wireless Bridge

Posted Nov 16, 2022 09:36 AM
    I have tried setting it to A and also B/G with the same results.

Here is an interesting message I got on the user debugs when the device becomes unstable after the intiall connection.

• 6.  RE: Wired Client with Wireless Bridge

Posted Nov 16, 2022 09:38 AM
    Here is the client trail info. 

• 7.  RE: Wired Client with Wireless Bridge

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2022 09:49 AM
    Have you tried the  bridge on a simpler (WPA2-PSK) network first to see if it stabilizes? There are quite a few config steps for WPA2-Enterprise and I would want to rule those out...

• 8.  RE: Wired Client with Wireless Bridge

Posted Nov 16, 2022 09:53 AM
    I will setup a temporary VAP with PSK on my test environment this afternoon and report back. I do know these 501 bridges worked with our previous Cisco wireless environment on 802.1x. We have migrated everything away from PSK.

• 9.  RE: Wired Client with Wireless Bridge

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2022 09:58 AM
    They definitely work on 802.1x, yes.  If it is not working on PSK, something else is wrong.