Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

wlc placement and ap mode

This thread has been viewed 38 times
  • 1.  wlc placement and ap mode

Posted Jan 23, 2023 03:56 AM

Hi,

I don't have  L2 adjacency between core  because the connection between core is layer 3. 
    All the access switches are connected using layer 3 to core 
    At this point if I connect (L2 )the wlc to both core  , I have to create SVI'S only on one core . this will  be a single point of failure 
    Or I have another option , that is to create svi's on wlc. is it recommeded creating svi's  on wlc ? 

Please help 
    Thanks

• 2.  RE: wlc placement and ap mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2023 11:30 PM
    What are you trying to make redundant?  The WLC or the Core?

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: wlc placement and ap mode

Posted Jan 24, 2023 12:03 AM
    Hi,

Core and wlc , below is the updated  diagram 

Thanks

• 4.  RE: wlc placement and ap mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2023 12:10 AM
    If the cores do not share a network, you cannot make this redundant, because a controller can only have a single management ip address.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: wlc placement and ap mode

Posted Jan 24, 2023 12:25 AM
    Hi,

I don't have layer2 connection between core . but I have layer  3  connection between core .
    I can form HA  between  controller (Master Standby ) using VRRP.  
    Now the issue ,there is no point of connecting wlc to core 2  because core 2 does not know the vlan created in core 1
    Please advise 
    Thanks

• 6.  RE: wlc placement and ap mode
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2023 05:05 AM
    I would plug two wlcs into one core and make them redundant by clustering them.

To make something redundant you would need to have two devices sitting in front of a subnet and if one device fails, the other would take over.  In this situation, since there is no shared subnet on the network between cores, you would need to choose one.

If you plugged a wlc into one core and the other wlc into another core, when the clients on the access points flip to the second wlc during an event the clients would have to switch subnets which would not be seamless.

• 7.  RE: wlc placement and ap mode

Posted Jan 24, 2023 06:04 AM
    Hi,
    What if I create a stack  between both controller 
    Thanks

• 8.  RE: wlc placement and ap mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2023 06:10 AM
    You could certainly do that.  If each controller would have access to the same layer 2 VLANs that would be expensive, but doable.

Is this a new or existing network?  Do you have access to a HPE Value added reseller to help you design this?  I am asking because I am giving you advice based on limited information.

• 9.  RE: wlc placement and ap mode

Posted Jan 24, 2023 06:32 AM
    Hi,
    This is new network .
    if each controller would have access to the same layer 2 VLANs that would be expensive, but doable
    You mean I have to go for vxlan license ? or any alternative solution 
    Thanks

• 10.  RE: wlc placement and ap mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2023 06:38 AM
    Lets start from scratch:

You are providing wireless, which requires at minimum a single WLC plugged into a layer 3 switch.  To provide hardware redundancy, you would have a second WLC, plugged into the same layer 3 switch, backing that first controller up.

What more would you like to do?