Internet of Things (IoT) and Industrial IoT (IIoT)

View Only
last person joined: 16 days ago 

Forum to discuss the HPE Aruba Networking Edge Service Platform and all associated products and solutions for any type of IoT or IIoT application. Included are IoT technology partners (eg. EnOcean, Microsoft, and Zebra) and IIOT technology partners (eg. ABB and Siemens)
Expand all | Collapse all

WPS needed for IOT

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  WPS needed for IOT

Posted Dec 07, 2021 12:02 PM
    With more and more IoT devices being available, and these devices using WPS so as to minimize the device interface requirements it would be very useful for Aruba-Instant-On to support WPS.

Having purchased and installed AP22's for my network needs, I now have a couple of new devices I cannot connect as they need WPS.

To implement WPS for Aruba is should be straight forward, just have a button in the network management page, and in addition list the requested connections so the network manager can verify the connection.

------------------------------
    greg tinkler

• 2.  RE: WPS needed for IOT

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 07, 2021 09:56 PM
    Hi Greg,

Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) has a known security vulnerability. WPA3 does have a potential replacement for WPS but of course many IoT devices do not yet support WPA3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup
    https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/723755
    https://www.howtogeek.com/176124/wi-fi-protected-setup-wps-is-insecure-heres-why-you-should-disable-it/

Is there any other way to configure Wi-Fi for the new IoT devices? It would be a shame that WPS is the only offered option. I have seen reference in the past on forums where people setup an old Wi-Fi router that supports WPS to establish the connectivity between the client and the wireless network and then replace the router with a system setup the same without WPS. They reported this worked for them so could be something you could try.

• 3.  RE: WPS needed for IOT

Posted Dec 08, 2021 06:49 PM
    I don't doubt there are security implications, but reality is what is on the ground not what we would like it to be.

Having an 'extra' wifi device around just so we can add a WPS only client is even more of a security risk.  At least with using WPS it should be possible for the network manager to confirm the id's of the client WPS before enabling it into the network. Process
    • Click on WPS button for Aruba network.
    • Push WPS button on client device
    • Check requested MAC addresses and device types against expect request
    • Confirm connection
    Also given Aruba supports WPA2 it is a very poor excuse to say it is a security issue, and WPA3 'may' have a solution.

Work in the now, plan for the future.

gt - down under

• 4.  RE: WPS needed for IOT

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 10, 2021 08:54 AM
    Best to reach out to your local Aruba SE or Product management. If I remember correctly, one of the more recent WiFi certifications prohibits the use of WPS, which would mean that if WPS is enabled, the products can't be certified. But could not find it quickly.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: WPS needed for IOT

Posted Mar 10, 2022 05:16 AM
    The Wi-Fi Protected Setup or WPS function is supplied with many routers or ADSL Boxes. It is designed to facilitate the process of connecting a device to the WiFi network.

Gunner Kreiger
    MyCCPay