Aruba Apps

last person joined: 4 days ago 

The HPE Aruba Networking Apps board is designed to address questions, comments, and feature requests for all HPE Aruba Networking mobile Apps
Expand all | Collapse all

iPerf, Ping and other functions in a mobile app like Aruba Utilities

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  iPerf, Ping and other functions in a mobile app like Aruba Utilities

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2015 05:58 PM

I posted this over on the Google+ Beta community but it deserves a wider audience, I think.  I'm looking for suggestions & feedback...

Ken has been asking for ping functionality and maybe other functions... So I came up with this multi-function tab idea.  I can implement these 4 functions (iPerf-client, ping, DNS, mDNS/Bonjour) in Android although there may be some functionality that's lacking (iPerf server is a tough one, and I'm not sure about all the DNS functions).  Here's a mock-up of a 4-panel Tab on a tablet.
    multi-panel network-function Jun15.JPG
    Then we can use the larger screen on a tablet to set up multiple panels.  Each panel can run any function, so you could have all 4 of them doing iPerf if you wanted.  iPerf and ping could have a VT100 style print, as above, but the DNS, mDNS can be changed.

Is there any promise in this approach?  What else would be useful?

Peter T

• 2.  RE: iPerf, Ping and other functions in a mobile app like Aruba Utilities

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2015 05:47 AM

hi Peter

+1 from me - I would find this very useful, whilst my S6 has a reasonable size screen, typing in the params is still fiddly and error prone, having a button based approach for the common params is a great time saver (would be nice to if the last say 3 were saved and able to be re-selected when pressing target button)

how would you envisage this working on a non tablet - would it be limited to a single panel?

regards

-jeff

• 3.  RE: iPerf, Ping and other functions in a mobile app like Aruba Utilities

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2015 08:18 PM

Hi Jeff,

The idea is to make a basic single-tab fragment.  Then it could appear multiple times on a phone with swipe navigation, or multiple times on a tablet as the diagram shows.

I already have a tab-order widget ("change tab order" on the main menu) and it should be possible to extend that to add tabs on the fly so you could make your own config.  But I haven't invested the time to figure out the coding yet.  It's suggestions like this that nudge me along, so thank you.

(Another little-known setting is "start with handover tab" in settings.  If you un-tick this, the app will always re-start on the tab you exited from.)

- Are these (iPerf, Ping, mDNS/Bonjour, DNS) a good set to start with?

- Any other functions you would like to see?  

- I have not got around to iPerf v3, it should be easy enough to implement in Android.  Is it becoming more popular?

Best wishes,

Peter T

• 4.  RE: iPerf, Ping and other functions in a mobile app like Aruba Utilities

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2015 09:16 PM

- Are these (iPerf, Ping, mDNS/Bonjour, DNS) a good set to start with?

- Any other functions you would like to see?  

I think those 4 are the bulk of the uses cases initially, maybe could also add cURL or wget for http/https testing? 

- I have not got around to iPerf v3, it should be easy enough to implement in Android.  Is it becoming more popular?

We are using it around the place, but I think most users would be carrying both versions - for me v2 or v3 is not a big deal at this point; others may disagree

thanks,

-jeff