Campus Switching and Routing

Occasional Contributor II

Default STP out of the box

If i have a 3800 switch for example.

By default spanning tree is disabled.

If i enable it by just entering "spanning-tree", what version of STP is enabled?

Is it always MSTP with only instance 0 preconfigured to handle all VLANs, waiting for me to create new instances?

Or is it RSTP or even CSTP?

Re: Default STP out of the box

Hi Pepe,

The ACMA Official Certification Guide says that running that command you woud enable RSTP, but the HPE ArubaOS-Switch Advanced Traffic Management Guide K/KA/KB.16.01 is not clear about this. I would like someone with experience on this clears this doubt.

Regards,

Julián

Contributor II

Hello!

By default the switch does not have STP enabled, and when enabled, it will current as MSTP but with RSTP behavior because it does not have a configured instance.

|ATP FLEXNETWORK V3|ACSA

Hi John,

Is there any command to just enable RSTP or the only way is enabling MSTP without configuring any instance as you say?

Regards,

Julián

Occasional Contributor II

Is there a document which states for which physical switch series this applies to in combination with which firmware?

So basically you could say it's RSTP out of the box, with the OPTION to configure multiple instances.

If the output shows this:

# sh span

Multiple Spanning Tree (MST) Information

STP Enabled   : Yes
  Force Version : MSTP-operation

I can assume my switch is running at least MSTPI0/RSTP (instead of CSTP)?

For instance 0 you can't/don't need to define a config revision/name etc?

Contributor II

If you want to do the Vlans balancing which is the main feature of MSTP, you need to create the instances (1..2..3) and associate Vlan. This process must be done on all switches. This becomes complex when you have a significant amount of switches.

With the current configuration, MSTP + INSTANCE 0, the switch will behave as RSTP and you will have a free network of L2 loops

|ATP FLEXNETWORK V3|ACSA
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: