What is “WAN operation mode” in VAP ? What are the different Modes? How it works ? How it will effect RAP operation modes ?
What is WAN operation Mode :
- New knob “WAN Operation” is added under Virtual-AP profile.
- This feature more useful for BOC deployment because it will work along with HCM( Health Check manager)
- As the Master controller does not have uplink manager enabled and won’t interact with Health check manager.
- Any AP on the master will only have Primary or Always VAPs present.
- RAPs using a VAP with WAN operation set to Primary or Backup will behave the same as a CAP
- RAP-operation can not be enabled when WAN-operation is configured as Backup
WAN operation Modes :
- Three modes can be defined under WAN Operation.
- Always mode: VAP is active all the time. It is the default mode, all VAPs will be in this mode on upgrade from previous release.
- Primary mode: VAP is only active when at least one uplink is up, and is disabled when all links are down.
- Backup mode: VAP is only active when all uplinks are down. Backup mode can only be Open or PSK opmodes.
- It is closely tied to Health Check Manager and Uplink Manager.
- When all uplinks are determined to be down, STM will be notified and SAPM will update the configuration change and push the change to APs.
- To take advantage of this feature, recommend configuring 802.1x VAP as “Primary” mode in WAN operation, configuring an Open or PSK backup VAP as “Backup” mode
How to verify the Config :
How to verify the Functionality:
Show ap bss-table
- On Initial bring up when WAN connection is up this command has no change.
- Only Always and Primary VAPs are active.
- When WAN link goes down a new status WAN Link State shows down.
- Backup SSIDs become Active.
- Always SSIDs are active
- Primary SSIDs are disabled.
- WAN Link State and “wan-mode” column persists even if the WAN link comes back up.
show ap bss-table ap-name boc-ap