Environment : This article applies to all Aruba Instant Access Points running Aruba InstantOS 220.127.116.11-18.104.22.168 or higher.
On Instant, when SLB is enabled, the virtual controller determines that clients are assigned to less loaded channels and when the client load on an IAP reaches or exceeds the client count threshold, then load balancing is enabled on the IAP.
ARM (Adaptive Radio Management) must be enabled for the Spectrum Load Balancing to function.
The functionality of SLB in Instant APs is controlled by three(3) configuration parameters as shown below:
SLB Calculating Interval: This interval which is mentioned in seconds determines how often spectrum load balancing must be calculated. Default: 30 seconds. Range: 100-600
SLB Neighbor Matching: Value here indicates the percentage (%) for comparing client density of IAP neighbors to determine the client load on a specific AP channel. Default: 75% Range: 20% - 100%
Note: Lower value in SLB Neighbor Matching triggers SLB easily and effectively.
SLB Threshold: Number here indicates the number of clients on a channel. This value is used to calculate client count threshold. When the load for an AP reaches or exceeds the client count threshold, load balancing is enabled on the AP. Default: 2 Range: 1-20
Note: Lower value here helps SLB to trigger easily and thereby balance the clients among IAPs in the cluster.
Internal Note : This is just an FAQ KB. More detailed KB's on Configuration, Timers are coming up.....as listed below
1) How is balancing of clients achieved in Spectrum load balancing in Aruba Instant? what packets and timers are used?
2) How to configure Spectrum Load Balancing in Aruba Instant? What are the parameters and their default values?
3) What are the pre-requisites for enabling SLB in Aruba Instant? What are the ways to confirm that SLB is enabled?
4) What is SLB calculation interval in Aruba Instant? How to configure and verify? What is the range that can be configured and its
5) What is SLB neighbor matching in Aruba Instant? How to configure and verify? What is the range that can be configured and its
6) What is SLB threshold in Aruba Instant? How to configure and verify? What is the range that can be configured and its significance?
7) How is client count threshold calculated in Aruba instant? What is its significance? How to verify?
8) How to troubleshoot Spectrum load balancing in Aruba Instant? What are the commands and important fields?
9) Explain the flags and threshold in "show ap debug spectrum-load-balancing" in Aruba instant.