Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP Conversion Query

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  AP Conversion Query

Posted Nov 11, 2016 09:57 AM

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to the Aruba world, but have been playing around in a lab environment with some 325 IAPs and a 7210 controller. All our APs have been purchased as Instants, so obviously we'll need to convert them to manage via the controller. During the conversion process, a controller owned IP address is specified on the IAP. From the testing we've carried out so far, it appears that on subsequent boots, the AP continues to use this same IP address, rather than fall back to using DNS or DHCP for controller connectivity.

Would this be the correct theory? We have resilient controllers, so the IP should always be available, I just want to ensure I have the correct logic in my head going forward. There is no requirement for DHCP Options or DNS in order to connect an AP to the Controller.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: AP Conversion Query

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2016 10:00 AM
    Yes.

The "master" ip address variable is set upon conversion. You can then reprovision the ap through the controller to remove that so it uses the typical discovery mechanisms.

• 3.  RE: AP Conversion Query

Posted Nov 11, 2016 10:08 AM

Thanks for swift response.

Just to clarify, once the AP is reprovisioned, it's still a Campus AP and controller managed  ?

• 4.  RE: AP Conversion Query

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2016 10:23 AM
    Yes.