Controllerless Networks

Contributor I

Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)

Hi folks,

is it possible to set the option "advertise ap name" on an instant AP? I know that there is an option on AOS but I can't find it in an IAP (WebIF nor CLI). -> Sorry in advance if I haven't seen the command or option! :)

Can anyone give me a hint if this is possible or not?

Background: I just opened a case at Ekahau (ESS) because the auto radio combinement isn't working for me. The told me that the logic is based on the AP name.

thanks for your answers

Guru Elite

Re: Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)

No, this is currently only possible in controller-based environments.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Contributor I

thanks for the quick answer Tim! ;)

I will reply this to the ESS support as well, so they may adjust ther logic a little bit! 

New Contributor

Is this still the case?

Guru Elite

This is still the case.  If you have Airwave, you can use the Aruba Utilities Android App to tie into Airwave and see the names of APs on an Android Device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arubanetworks.arubautilities

Advertising AP name only works with a handful of high-priced survey tools.  Android utilities works with inexpensive Android Devices...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Thanks for the answer. It's really too bad. I use Ekahau and without the name advertising, 2.4 and 5 GHz radios are shown as seperate APs.

I then have to go combine each of the radios manually...time consuming.

Contributor II

Here is another one missing this feature! I'm using a Netscout AirCheck G2 that claims it has support for Aruba AP-names, but wondered why I wasn't seeing them in my Instant networks and stumbled upon this post.

Also testing The Bald One's excellent "WiFi Ping" tool [*] and was going to suggest as an improvment to auto-detect AP-Names from the Aruba Vendor Tag, but again, it's not going to help me as I mainly work with Instant networks.

So, I'm really hoping to see this feature in future releases, as it would be really useful when throubleshooting roaming issues.

[*] https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Water-Cooler/WiFi-Ping-Wireless-Testing-and-Diagnostics-tool/td-p/283491

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: