Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Change Virtual IP to another vlan

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Change Virtual IP to another vlan

Posted Feb 22, 2017 01:17 PM

Hello Team,

I have 18 instant 205 already working which VIP IP 192.168.0.100 relies on vlan 1 untagged from the switches as well.

Settings on this is DHCP for each AP and configured only VIP 192.168.0.100 with NO custom settings.All good so far...

Clients reside on the vlan 2 which is another network 172.16.1.0/21 with no issues 

Customer wants to change the mgmt vlan to another vlan than 1 .

Let's say vlan 100  which has another subnet 192.168.100.0/24 network .

The plan is to change the Virtual IPs on all vlans and tag the traffic from the HP siwtches .

How can I do that to all APs at once with minimum downtime ?

I have tried bringing down the POE, configure the switch to add tag vlan the MGMT network , bringing up the POE .This brought one APs up with new mgmt IP but with VIP from the old network , then changed the settings , reboot and tried with another AP.When the 2nd AP came up with new mgmt IP did the same thing but could not take the config from the other one.

Thank you in advance .

• 2.  RE: Change Virtual IP to another vlan
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2017 04:17 PM
    The VIP ip is a fixed setting. Start 1 iap and then reconfigure the VIP address

• 3.  RE: Change Virtual IP to another vlan

Posted Feb 23, 2017 08:09 AM

Do you say that I should bring down all APs , start one , change the VIP by adding vlan VIP id and then power on one by one ?

• 4.  RE: Change Virtual IP to another vlan

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 24, 2017 10:34 AM

Yes, to avoid problems where different IAP's on different VLAN's are trying to elect themselves as the master due to not being able to communicate with the master IAP you made your changes on. When I've completed this before it is easier to shutdown all the IAP's except one, make all the changes you require then power the rest of the AP's up in this VLAN.

The IAP which you have made your changes on would've already elected its self as the master and the remaining IAP's in the VLAN would download their configuration from this master IAP.

• 5.  RE: Change Virtual IP to another vlan

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2017 04:18 PM
    Also check if you set the mgnt vlan number for tagged mgmt vlan