Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor I

Re: Client doesn't get IP Addres

I ended up tracing all switches between IAP and Core switch and vlan 100 was not created on a couple of switches.  Thanks for helping me walk through this... This is completely different than what Cisco does with vlans.

Well, for IAP, since there's no centralized encryption, all ingress/egress for packets are out of the AP (would be similar to fat APs or bridged APs from any other vendor). If you had a controller-based solution, this wouldn't be necessary. But as it is, if the intent is to carry separate WLANs in different VLANs, L2 continuity is a must. 

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Occasional Contributor I

That makes sense... I am an "aspiring" Network Engineer and I've only seen things done one way, so I'm still learning as I go (and I'm sure I always will).  Your explanation helps me understand how this and other situations like this work.

Highlighted

Don't sweat it, it's all part of the fun. :)

Just remember that with IAPs, packets are locally tagged (or untagged if the SSID is in the native VLAN or if the AP is not on a tagged port). Controllers work so that all client traffic resides in the AP tunnel back to the controllers, so the VLANs only need to exist at the controllers, and the APs just need a single VLAN to terminate on (controllers make the deployment easier for a multiple VLAN WLAN network since it's an 'overlay', and just plugs in to the network, discovers the controllers, and brings up the tunnel). 

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: