Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Does IAP need to be the DHCP server in order for roaming to work?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Does IAP need to be the DHCP server in order for roaming to work?

Posted Aug 11, 2014 05:23 PM

We just purchased a couple of IAP-225 and am going over the manaul before setting it all up. I noticed that in the section for "Virtual Controller" it mentions ". It also acts as a node, coordinating DHCP address allocation for network address translated clients ensuring mobility of the clients when they roam between different IAPs." Does that mean that the IAP has to be the DHCP server for roaming to work or can I continue using my own DHCP server?

• 2.  RE: Does IAP need to be the DHCP server in order for roaming to work?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 11, 2014 05:27 PM

It means that the IAP can be a DHCP server but it does not have to be.   When you are creating an SSID you are presented with an option for IP Assignment.  You can choose "Virtual Controller assigned" or "Network Assigned".  Roaming should be seamless regardless of the source of DHCP.

• 3.  RE: Does IAP need to be the DHCP server in order for roaming to work?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 12, 2014 04:09 AM

What it means by coordinating DHCP address allocation etc is that the VC, if issuing DHCP addresses will replicate this to the other devices. If the device that is currently holding the VC role fails, the device that takes ownership of the VC address will have all the DHCP and NAT'ing info to ensure a smooth transition for clients.