Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-105 upgrade path

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  IAP-105 upgrade path

Posted Mar 30, 2016 10:37 AM

Currently running 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.11. Running the online check for new firmware version indicates no new firmware available, but I received e-mail from Aruba stating that version 6.4.4.4-4.2.3.0 is available as early release software patch.

My question is, does it make sense to install EA software as opposed to General Availability software and, if so, do I need to install 6.4.3.x before going to 6.4.4.4?  6.4.3.x is not a General Availability release - EA only.

• 2.  RE: IAP-105 upgrade path
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 24, 2016 06:19 AM

As a generic rule of thumb: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So unless, you are looking for specific features, fixes, or platform support (some newer AP's don't run with the recommended 4.1.1.x Instant AP firmware), there is no reason to upgrade to an Early Availability (EA) release in production enviroments.

If you have issues in your enviroment, it may be useful to check if those issues are resolved in the newer version; all EA run through a complete Quality Assurance (QA) cycle, so they have been thoroughly tested before release, just not at many customers in production enviroments. If there is any doubt, please work with Aruba TAC for a custom advise in your environment.

Having said that, I try to run the latest firmware myself all the time, and do not run into many issues while doing that. However as an HPE Aruba SE I don't run a production enviroment, and I see is as part of my job to run the latest versions (or even beta firmware) to make sure IF there are issues, I see them first before they hit our customers.

Does this give you some guidance?

• 3.  RE: IAP-105 upgrade path

Posted May 02, 2016 10:37 AM

Thanks for your response - I'll go with that rule of thumb! I just didn't want to get too far behind on upgrades so that the next time we really do have to do one we won't have to install multiple prerequisite versions first.

@Herman Robers wrote:

As a generic rule of thumb: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So unless, you are looking for specific features, fixes, or platform support (some newer AP's don't run with the recommended 4.1.1.x Instant AP firmware), there is no reason to upgrade to an Early Availability (EA) release in production enviroments.

If you have issues in your enviroment, it may be useful to check if those issues are resolved in the newer version; all EA run through a complete Quality Assurance (QA) cycle, so they have been thoroughly tested before release, just not at many customers in production enviroments. If there is any doubt, please work with Aruba TAC for a custom advise in your environment.

Having said that, I try to run the latest firmware myself all the time, and do not run into many issues while doing that. However as an HPE Aruba SE I don't run a production enviroment, and I see is as part of my job to run the latest versions (or even beta firmware) to make sure IF there are issues, I see them first before they hit our customers.

Does this give you some guidance?