Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-225's and wifi calling while roaming between AP's not working?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  IAP-225's and wifi calling while roaming between AP's not working?

Posted Jun 04, 2016 08:42 PM

So I currently have 3 IAP-225's running 6.4.2.6-4.1.3.0_54915. I have 802.11r/k/v enabled for the SSID, and i've tested with client match enabled and disabled. My test device is an iphones 6s+ running the latest IOS using t-mobile's built-in wifi calling. If I initiate a call and move between access points the call drops the instant the handoff between AP's happens. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should this be possible or is this a pipe dream to get working? Thanks!

• 2.  RE: IAP-225's and wifi calling while roaming between AP's not working?

• 3.  RE: IAP-225's and wifi calling while roaming between AP's not working?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2016 08:12 AM

@Pivot wrote:

So I currently have 3 IAP-225's running 6.4.2.6-4.1.3.0_54915. I have 802.11r/k/v enabled for the SSID, and i've tested with client match enabled and disabled. My test device is an iphones 6s+ running the latest IOS using t-mobile's built-in wifi calling. If I initiate a call and move between access points the call drops the instant the handoff between AP's happens. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should this be possible or is this a pipe dream to get working? Thanks!

How far apart are your access points?

What is the transmit power of your access points?

Did you try changing the SSID type to voice?

• 4.  RE: IAP-225's and wifi calling while roaming between AP's not working?

Posted Jun 05, 2016 09:46 AM
    Collin, what does setting the SSID to voice do? what effect will that have on data traffic?

#AirheadsMobile

• 5.  RE: IAP-225's and wifi calling while roaming between AP's not working?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2016 10:04 AM

It will tag all of the data sent on that SSID as voice and give it priority from the AP to the client over the air.  It may or may not help in this circumstance.  Most likely the user could have a roaming issue..

• 6.  RE: IAP-225's and wifi calling while roaming between AP's not working?

Posted Jun 05, 2016 06:59 PM

Thanks for the reply! The two AP's i'm testing with are ~50ft away from each other, the 3rd is ~65ft away from the middle AP. One is ceiling mounted on the 2nd story, the other ceiling mounted on the first. Normal wood construction no concrete/steel. I went ahead and switched the SSID to voice and it managed to roam between them successfully once, while i took care to walk extremely slowly (which i'd never actually do). Another 10 attempts or so have failed the instant a handover between AP's occurs. I went ahead and messed with the power levels, trying a combination of min: 12 max: 18/min: 3 max: 15/ and min: 12 max: max. I tried all this with client match both enabled and disabled.

• 7.  RE: IAP-225's and wifi calling while roaming between AP's not working?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2016 07:32 PM

You should have a constant ping going from a wired host to the client to see how roaming is from a protocol level..

• 8.  RE: IAP-225's and wifi calling while roaming between AP's not working?

Posted Jun 05, 2016 09:19 PM

Sure I'll give that a shot thanks. How much packet loss should I expect to see while roaming?

• 9.  RE: IAP-225's and wifi calling while roaming between AP's not working?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2016 09:29 PM

One or two pings.  Three or more would not be good.

• 10.  RE: IAP-225's and wifi calling while roaming between AP's not working?

Posted Jun 06, 2016 02:52 PM

Dropping between 6-12 pings on average while roaming it seems. Trying lots of combintations of max/min transmit power hasen't resulted in any better results either.

• 11.  RE: IAP-225's and wifi calling while roaming between AP's not working?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2016 03:18 PM

Do you have something on that device that registers signal strength?  Stand halfway between two access points and send a screenshot of the signal strength seen by both..

It seems like you only have a single access point on each floor...

• 12.  RE: IAP-225's and wifi calling while roaming between AP's not working?

Posted Mar 26, 2017 04:59 PM

Did you find a resolution for this issue?  I'm having a similar one with my configuration.