Controllerless Networks

Frequent Contributor II

IAP and vlan pooling question

Hi all, a question re IAP cluster and vlan pooling.

If I have a cluster of IAP 105's, 3 distinct SSI'ds each with a static vlan assigned, for instance

vlan 100 guest

vlan 200 staff

vlan 300 apple

if i use vlan pooling for each ssid as recommended, does this mean a wireless client when connecting drops into either of these 3 vlans at random and therefore picks up a dhcp address in that vlan ?

thanks

ACMA/ACMP

Re: IAP and vlan pooling question

That is correct. If you use pooling, the client could be in any vlan in the pool

The "randomness" is based upon a hash of the client mac if memory serves me correctly.

Kudos appreciated, but I'm not hunting! (ACMX 104)
Frequent Contributor II

Thanks, thats great, one other q if anyone can help, enabling airplay globally would negate necesarily using a specific Apple SSID ?

Would this affect enabling multicast ARP ?

Thanks

ACMA/ACMP

I think the answer you're looking for is yes, it probably does negate it.

BUT, that's me making an assumption that the reason you had a specific apple VLAN in the first place, was due to challenges with bonjour/mdns etc (apple "multicast" stuff) when traversing vlans?

If that was the reason, the answer's yes. If there were other reasons the apple stuff was on a specific VLAN, they might still be relevant?

I think your second question is related to dropping bcast/mcast and converting ARP to unicast? If so, my understanding is Airgroup works along side this (when enabled) just fine.

Kudos appreciated, but I'm not hunting! (ACMX 104)
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: