Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Limit bandwidth per SSID using radio limits

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Limit bandwidth per SSID using radio limits

Posted Oct 29, 2015 11:50 AM

Hi All,
    I have a question that I am sure someone will be able to answer really easily.
    I have tried setting a bandwidth limit on my IAP105 on my test network.  I have set this to 15Mbps, however the throughput chart is showing in excess of 20 Mbps.

Looking a bit closer, it seems that its set per radio.  My initial assumption is that this is now set to 15 Mbps for b/g/n and 15 Mbps for a / ac

I have attached 2 screen grabs, showing the limit I have set and the helper text.

What I am trying to achieve is that no more that 15 Mbps can be used by wireless users to protect the network for my wired users.

Should I set the limit per radio at 7.5 Mbps to give a total throughput of 15 Mbps or am I completely off the mark??

Thanks in advance

G

• 2.  RE: Limit bandwidth per SSID using radio limits

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 03, 2015 06:47 PM

It should be like the description, yes.

• 3.  RE: Limit bandwidth per SSID using radio limits

Posted Nov 06, 2015 06:03 AM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply. 

I dont understand what you mean? To get 15 meg overall, i need to set the radio limits at 7.5 meg each (7.5 for 2.4Ghz and 7.5 for 5Ghz)?

Sorry, I am having one of those weeks :)

TIA

G

• 4.  RE: Limit bandwidth per SSID using radio limits

MVP
    Posted Nov 07, 2015 05:10 AM

and yes, the bandwidth limits are per radio so on a dual radio AP you would limit to 7.5 if you want the total max output to be 15. 

If you would have mixed dual radio and single radio AP's this would mess it up a bit.

• 5.  RE: Limit bandwidth per SSID using radio limits

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 06, 2015 06:19 AM

If you want to limit the bandwidth for your wireless users, you should do it on the role level;  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_42_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm?_ga=1.43038629.1615771646.1440445030#UG_files/Roles_and_policies/ConfUserRole.htm

Put user in a role - configure that role to only allow 15 megabits/second.  That way you don't have to make separate configurations for the radios.

Honestly, wireless traffic backs off from contention far more than wired traffic, so you have less bandwidth issues to worry about there, unless you have a 1 megabit circuit.