Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Meshed "Point" AP 1/3 slower than the "Portal" AP for same client

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Meshed "Point" AP 1/3 slower than the "Portal" AP for same client

Posted Apr 25, 2016 01:23 PM

Hello,

Anyone have this issue? Meshed "Point" AP 1/3 slower than the "Portal" AP for same client on 2nd floor.

I got Mesh working but when I access the Meshed "Point" AP , only a few feet away on the same floor, 2nd floor, I get only a 1/3 of the download capabilites as opposed to attaching to the Meshed "Portal" AP, which is on the 1st floor!?!?

ArubaOS (MODEL: 205), Version 6.4.4.3-4.2.2.0

Thx,

D

• 2.  RE: Meshed "Point" AP 1/3 slower than the "Portal" AP for same client

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 25, 2016 01:28 PM

You're lucky.  Typically you lose half the performance for each hop due to interference, contention and media translation.  This is expected, unfortunately.

• 3.  RE: Meshed "Point" AP 1/3 slower than the "Portal" AP for same client

Posted Apr 25, 2016 02:14 PM

Well, I don't feel so lucky... :-(

Sorry I worded the issue incorrectly as the end node client is only getting  a 1/3 of the bandwidth so losing 2/3, so less than 1/2.

Is there any way to improve this by maybe directing each antenna for a specific function? One for clients and the other for the Mesh?

Thx,

D

• 4.  RE: Meshed "Point" AP 1/3 slower than the "Portal" AP for same client

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 25, 2016 02:47 PM

What SSID was the client on (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz), etc? I didn't see that covered. 

• 5.  RE: Meshed "Point" AP 1/3 slower than the "Portal" AP for same client

Posted Apr 25, 2016 03:30 PM

2.4Ghz so losing over 2/3 of my bandwidth makes a big difference.

D

• 6.  RE: Meshed "Point" AP 1/3 slower than the "Portal" AP for same client

Posted Apr 25, 2016 03:34 PM
    are both portal and point 205s?

Yan Liu
    Director of Product Management
    Aruba Instant
    US: +1 650 996 3520
    China: +86 136 212 16844

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Meshed "Point" AP 1/3 slower than the "Portal" AP for same client

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 25, 2016 03:47 PM

I would first need to see some data on the mesh link, but a couple of things:

* The 2.4Ghz radio on the mesh point, is the RF clear and not congested? What about the 2.4Ghz on the portal?

* What is the mesh link quality? You will have to get into the CLI of the mesh portal and point and run 'show ap mesh link' from each side and post the output

* If you have the SSID being broadcast on the 5Ghz as well as 2.4Ghz, it will slow down the link throughput on the mesh "considerably". Even more so if there is a client on either the point or portal's 5Ghz radio. The best thing would be to make those two APs broadcast the SSID in 2.4Ghz only and preserve the 5Ghz for mesh only.

• 8.  RE: Meshed "Point" AP 1/3 slower than the "Portal" AP for same client

Posted Apr 26, 2016 06:35 PM

"The best thing would be to make those two APs broadcast the SSID in 2.4Ghz only and preserve the 5Ghz for mesh only."

This is exactley what I was asking but how do you set it up? And is it possible to switch and use the 5Ghz for the clients and the 2.4Ghz for the mesh? Or do you get better throughtput the other way?

If you still want the output for the mesh quality let me know and as for the RF being clear and not congested what will show me the status?

Thx,

D

• 9.  RE: Meshed "Point" AP 1/3 slower than the "Portal" AP for same client
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2016 07:02 PM

With IAP, mesh is locked at 5Ghz only. Are these two APs the only APs in the IAP cluster or do you have other APs in the same cluster? 

If they are in their own cluster, simply configure your VAP/SSID to broadcast in 2.4Ghz only.

If they are part of a larger cluster, you will want to configure those two specific IAPs into their own Zone, and then create an SSID profile for just that zone that broadcasts in the 2.4Ghz only. 

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_41_Mobile/Advanced/Content/UG_files/CustomizeIAPParams/Conf_zone_settings.htm

• 10.  RE: Meshed "Point" AP 1/3 slower than the "Portal" AP for same client

Posted Apr 27, 2016 11:08 PM

Only 2 APs as I'm testing mesh at this time.

Thx,

D