Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP-109 home use, do I need a router or can I connect direct to cable modem?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  RAP-109 home use, do I need a router or can I connect direct to cable modem?

Posted Mar 10, 2014 11:06 AM

I've got a Cisco cable modem that supports 10/100/1000 connections, do I need to have a router in place or can I link my AP directly to the modem?  

• 2.  RE: RAP-109 home use, do I need a router or can I connect direct to cable modem?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 10, 2014 11:10 AM

So long as you get an IP address from the cable modem that should be fine.   Sometimes it is nice to have a router as you can put your networks in their own subnets and NAT out from the router so you can have as many networks as you need.   In some cases the service providers will only assign one IP address.

• 3.  RE: RAP-109 home use, do I need a router or can I connect direct to cable modem?

Posted Mar 10, 2014 12:34 PM
    You just need ethernet so straight to the modem is fine

• 4.  RE: RAP-109 home use, do I need a router or can I connect direct to cable modem?

Posted Mar 10, 2014 05:59 PM

One remark - probably your ISP assigns single IP address for every device connected to the ethernet port at the cable modem. So you have to use VC to assign IP address from internal DHCP server. 

Many regards,