Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

Posted Sep 21, 2016 11:32 AM

If I run a show stat command on the IAP I am seeing the following:

Util Level:good

Noise Level:good

Error Level:good

However under the clients section, all clients seem to have either good signal and poor speed, or poor signal and good speed

Clients                Signal  Speed 
    -------                   ------  -----                                    
    SIHS-PREP-9    good  poor             

Katherine   poor good                                                                                                 
    SIHS-PREP-10       good    poor                                                                                                                        
    android  poor    good   .                                                                                                            
    0.0.0.0                   poor    good   0.0.0.0                                                                                                                           
    iPhone                    poor    good  

Any ideas what could be causing this, and how to go about remediating the issue?

Many thanks

Richard

• 2.  RE: We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2016 02:09 PM

What is is the transmit power of the APs in that cluster?  Too much power (>18) means they can hold on to an AP longer than they should...

• 3.  RE: We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

Posted Sep 21, 2016 02:18 PM

Thanks for getting  back to me on this.  Power has been set to Min Transmit 15, Max Transmit 18, as per a recommendation from an Aruba support engineer a while back.

• 4.  RE: We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2016 02:21 PM

Are you using Broadast Filter ARP on all of your SSIDs?

• 5.  RE: We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

Posted Sep 21, 2016 02:26 PM

roadcast Filtering is set to ALL, with Multicasr Transmission Optimization and Dynamic Multicast Optimization both set to off.  These should be no multicast traffic on the network anyway.

Thanks

Richard

• 6.  RE: We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2016 02:30 PM

What version of Instant are you running and what model access points?

• 7.  RE: We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

Posted Sep 21, 2016 02:33 PM

They are AP-215 running version 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.1_55602

• 8.  RE: We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2016 02:58 PM

What are the top two devices that are experiencing latency and disconnects?

Are they ever on the 2.4ghz band?

• 9.  RE: We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

Posted Sep 21, 2016 03:27 PM

I suspect that they are, however I will need to confirm this.

• 10.  RE: We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

Posted Sep 22, 2016 10:05 AM

I can confirm that all the devices are on 2.4Ghz

• 11.  RE: We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2016 01:14 PM

What is the RF utilization on the 2.4ghz band of those access points?

• 12.  RE: We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

Posted Sep 22, 2016 02:02 PM

At its peak it is roughly about 45%, howver it averages at around 25%.  I have attached some images of the performance counters here so you can see some sample data from one of the offending units.

Thanks

• 13.  RE: We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2016 02:12 PM

Is the transmit power set at 15 min, 18 max on the 2.4ghz as well?  Do you have an access point in every room with clients?

• 14.  RE: We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

Posted Sep 22, 2016 02:23 PM

Yes - it is set at 15 min and 18 max for both 5 & 2.4 Ghz.  There are APs in the majority of rooms, but not every one.  One of the main areas where there is latency is a room without an IAP, however we are also seeing wildly variable ping times for devices connect to the IAP when in the same room as well.  I have recommended they place an additional IAP in the room without one to test, however they don't currently have a spare available.  It should be noted that the rooms are separated by concrete not sheet rock.  I am seeing a signal of between -70 to -60 dBm on my android Wifi Analyser tool in the room with no IAP.

• 15.  RE: We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2016 04:18 PM

The 2.4ghz band should be 3 to 6 db less power than the 5ghz band, because it propagates further.  You also want 5ghz devices to prefer the 5ghz on the same access point.  The 2.4ghz band is also the first to create interference with other APs, because it only has 3 non-overlapping channels, and higher power could cause roaming issues.  I would set my minimum on 2.4 to 12 and max to 15 and see if you still have issues.

• 16.  RE: We are experiencing latency and disconnect issues on a couple of IAPs in our cluster.

Posted Sep 23, 2016 09:38 AM
      |   view attached

Thanks - I will try thisese setting later this afternoon.  In Aruba Central, however, I can't see how you change the power settings on a per band basis.  Is seems to be pushed to the Access Point as a whole (see attached screenshot).  Am I missing something here?