Controllerless Networks

New Contributor

Why is my IAP-225 wireless network slow for every speed but wireless a/c?

I just received an Arube IAP-225 wireless access point.

I have an older laptop with wireless G.  My office mate has wireless a/c.

I installed and configured the access point which is connected to a netgear nighthawk router.

My office mate can reach speeds of up to 100Mbps while i'm only getting .54Mbps at best.  I placed my laptop directly next to the access point and was still only getting 4Mbps.  Am I doing something wrong?

Guru Elite

Re: Why is my IAP-225 wireless network slow for every speed but wireless a/c?

[ Edited ]

1.  802.11ac is many times faster than 802.11g

2.  802.11a/c has less interference than 802.11g

3.  Your 802.11g card drivers have probably not been tested or Q/A'ed against an 802.11n or 802.11ac access point and is probably not optimized.

4.  You should try updating the driver on your wireless card, to see if there is an improvement.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions.  I have updated the drivers.

Also, if I turn on the wifi capabilities of my netgear nighthawk router and connect wirelessly I get much faster speeds than the access point.  

I'm wondering if there is a setting that needs to be tweaked?  I was under the impression that the aruba IAP-225 was pretty much plug and play minus a few easy steps (eg, IP address, gateway, SSID, etc)

Guru Elite

There could be a number of external factors causing you to have poor performance.  Below is the only setting that I would advise you to change:

filter.png

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Thank you for the reply.  We purchased 4 IAP-225 access points.  I unboxed another AP and decided to do the minimum settings (static ip, gateway, dns, and assign a name to the AP, SSID and password).

I then changed the setting suggesting in your reply to Broadcast Filtering = ALL

I am still only reaching connection speeds of 2.2mbps down and 4.5mbps up.  The access point is literally on my desk beside my laptop.  

If i disconnect from the SSID and re-enable wireless on the netgear nighthawk router and connect (it's located in another room)....I can reach speeds of 11mbps down/up.

I'm at a complete loss as to why my laptop with a wireless G antenna will get a better connection from the router located in another room than with the aruba IAP-225 sitting right next to it.

Guru Elite

They could be on different channels and the channel the Aruba is on could be bad.

Colin Joseph

MVP

im not quite sure that testing with the AP sitting next to the client is such a good test. that isn't really a normal situation. if you want to compare you should at least make sure of as identical as possible situation.

still things like this are difficult to troubleshoot / find out via a forum, if you bought the APs with support you might contact TAC and see if they can work with you on it.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: