Higher Education

last person joined: 17 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

BYOD / BYOE and IP addressing

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  BYOD / BYOE and IP addressing

Posted Jun 26, 2013 05:41 PM

We know we've run out of IPv4 addressing and our facing an ever increasing number of devices in networks. We've seen a couple of solutions come up, from switching to IPv6 to moving mobile devices to private IP space and leaving traditional computers with public IPs. How are you handling your IP needs for current and future devices? Are you having to make any changes to your DHCP infrastructure?

• 2.  RE: BYOD / BYOE and IP addressing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 27, 2013 12:57 PM

We are thinking about moving wireless over to IPv6 for Fall 2014 with SLAAC due to device compaibility. Wired side would stay IPv4 with DHCP.

• 3.  RE: BYOD / BYOE and IP addressing

Posted Jun 28, 2013 02:47 PM

We had two separate pools of IPs for academic and residence halls. Academic usage peaks were during the day; residence halls at night. This meant that during one area's peak usage periods, the other pool was less utilized. We just completed aggreation of academic and residence hall controller stacks and IP pools. We are excited and anxious to see the results in IP utilization starting in the fall.

• 4.  RE: BYOD / BYOE and IP addressing

Posted Jun 28, 2013 02:48 PM

Sadly, NAT is our solution.  IPv6 isn't near widely adopted enough for that to be a solution at this point.  Forcing a 6 to 4 conversion is no different than having a NAT, so we prefer not to complicate the matter any further.

• 5.  RE: BYOD / BYOE and IP addressing

Posted Jun 28, 2013 03:31 PM

I'll be interested to hear how the IPv6 deployment goes for those devices as well. Most of the items I own should be able to handle it, but I'd be surprised if my Kindle would be able to deal with it. I haven't tried, but that doesn't seem to have the most robust wireless client.