Higher Education

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
MVP
IPv4 NAT/PAT ratios?

If you are currently using IPv4 address translation for your client networks, will you please share with me the ratio you are currently using for real-->mapped IP addresses?

==========
Ryan Holland, ACDX #1 ACMX #1
The Ohio State University
Occasional Contributor II
Re: IPv4 NAT/PAT ratios?

We have our ratio to be about 1 public to 80 private addresses.

Chris Hart

Northwestern University

MVP

thank you!

I guess you're the only education customer doing address translation . . . ? :-/

==========

Ryan,

We're not doing it now, but with our Large Public Venue (LPV) install in progress for our basketball coliseum, I anticipate having to do it as part of the implementation.

Brad

Ryan,

We NAT all our smartphones/Guests/Labs. We do 1 public address for every /24 private address.

Brian

Ryan,

While my environment is totally different (retail), I have looked at the number of sessions I typically see by devices and it seems to be in the 10-15 sessions per mobile device, with my iPhone having 20 sessions established most times due to several push accounts. 

With a safe margin of 30 sessions per device you would likely have no issues with at least 1000 devices per IP address. At my companies retail stores we have 1 address per /21 and I have not run into any issues with running out of sessions, however my average utilization (during business) on these /21s are in the 400 device range with peaks at high traffic locations hitting 800-900 devices, again never having any issue running out of sessions. 

If you plan at peak times to have your subnets at high utilizations at peak times I would likely do 1 per /23 or /22. I think us doing /21s pushes it, but not my call. 

Too bad to see osuwireless needing to move to RFC1918 space. I'm a big propoent of global addressing. Maybe make best buds with some guys at MERIT and get a couple of /16s from their /8? ;) 

Matt

MVP

Thanks for your response, Matt. Good to know.

Yeah, I hate moving to RFC1918 for our non-guests. NAT64 is what we would like to be doing, but the urgency of doing *something* exceeds the time required to implement NAT64 well. We'll do this move then get underway for building NAT64 and ideally placing these clients on IPv6 only.

==========
Regular Contributor I

We're considering going to NAT as well. IPv4 space is getting sopped up.

Is there anyone NATing one ssid and not another? We have an open (CP) ssid and a .1x ssid with about a 20/80 split, favoring .1x. As a start I'd like to just NAT the open ssid, if that's possible.

The NAT/PAT ratios discussed here are very helpful so far!

Mike

MVP
To close the loop, I?m targeting an average 100 sessions per client, thus a 100:1 ratio.

This first round is to PAT our mobile devices used by student users (not staff as of yet). However, the new guest/open network I?m building will be 100% PAT. So, yes, to answer your question, others are doing a similar approach.
==========
Aruba
[ Edited ]

Ryan, I have a higher education customer in MA that is NAT'ing 1 public IP per /24.    Each controller has about 15 x /24 networks for each 802.1X network (2 at the moment).    This has been in place this semester with no apparent issues.   Check Point is NAT'ing.

------------------------------------------------
Systems Engineer, Northeast USA
ACCX | ACDX | ACMX

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: