Higher Education

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
New Contributor
PS3 dropping off the network

We have a strange issue that I just wanted to see if anyone else has seen.  We had several students say their PS3 wasn't working on our network and it worked fine at home.  We did some troublshooting including opening our firewall up to all traffic to a test PS3.  Everytime the PS3 booted, it would work for between 1-10 minutes and then the network card would just turn off.  No link lights or anything.  We tried both wireless and wired on the PS3 and the result was the same.

Our final testing was all done with the PS3 wired.  We wiped the PS3 and just connected it via wired so it would have no settings for our wireless network.  The same issue happened where the network card just shutdown.  No link lights.  This was done on multple switches to eliminate any issue there.

We were troublshooting other issues on our Aruba system and disabled some settings.  We later noticed the PS3 no longer had issues and was able to connect to our WIRED network just fine now.  The network card never shutdown. 

We narrowed the setting down to ARM Over the Air Updates.  It only seems to happened to older model PS3's.  We tried both older firmware and the latest on the ps3.

We are able to replicate the issue just by turning this setting on/off.  It is crazy that this issue happens when we are not even wireless!

no ota-updates

Anyone else see this very interesting issue?

We are running 6.3.0.1

New Contributor
Re: PS3 dropping off the network

We have seen the same problem, however have not gone that in depth to troubleshoot.  Our symptopms mirrored yours.  We are currently running 6.2.1.3

Have you opened up a case on this?

Regards,

Scott

New Contributor

No we have not contacted TAC about this.

Occasional Contributor I

We have 2 users here reporting same behavior of their PS3, we are also on 6.2.1.3 currently.

Mike

Hood College

Aruba

Please open a TAC case for this.  This is been seen in a few spots.  The NIC on the PS3 is all in one...meaning that RF and wired go through the same processing...it's really bizarre to comprehend but a wired connection can still be affected by RF.

Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos
MVP
[ Edited ]
The issue that we been seeing is that a non-slim PS3 with the latest version v4.46 is not able to see any of our SSIDs when the device performs a scan .

Our production APs are currently on AOS 6.2.1.3

We tried the following :
- turned off band steering
- turned off dropped multicast/broadcast on the VAP
- turned off HT and just use legacy a/g
- manually added the SSID
- reset the PS3 to factory settings
- tried connecting to a non-aruba AP ( linksys ) , but the PS3 is not able to detect those either
- tried an AP on AOS 6.3
- tried connecting the PS3 on the wired side and didn't not work

We haven't opened a TAC case yet but I think I'm now
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
MVP
After disabling the arm OTA updates on 6.2.1.3 the ps3 non slim was able to see our SSIDs , very interesting stuff.

Thanks for sharing this information.

I have opened a case for this
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
New Contributor

When a resolution is found, could you please keep us updated here?  It would be greatly appreciated!!!

New Contributor
[ Edited ]

We are experiencing the exact same issue.  I have a case open w/ TAC.  Will update when I learn more.

Frequent Contributor II

We are seeing a similar problem with the older PS3. The strange thing is that when they bring it to the helpdesk where there is an AP 225 they connect with no problem but when they go back to their room they can't see the AP right next to them. 

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: