Higher Education

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Regular complaints of getting disconnected coming in from students

We have been getting increasingly frequent complaints from the students of being disconnected regularly from the wireless network.  Aside from the usual difficulties of getting the students to provide further details it has also been difficult to track down when the students do give details.  The problem can happen in the middle of an active session like a Skype call, but is often just a pop up on Windows laptops notifiying them of the loss of connectivity or they see the spinning wheel on an OS X laptop.  As the reports go the commputers often reconnect without any action needed but sometimes the computer only connects if the student shutsdown wifi and turns it back on. In all cases the students are  Setting debugging on the clients has not shown any obvious patterns. Sometimes the logs shown a Client Match event, other times they show the client timed out and was deauth'd, and sometimes nothing obvious is in the logs.  I can not reproduce the problem, predict when it will happen next or find a clean way of identifying it has happened in the logs.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

We are running 6.4.2.2, having upgraded from 6.4.1.0 two weeks ago.  We have a pair M3's as the Master and two 7220's as local controllers sharing the load between ~560 APs.

It could be something in 6.4 and I am considering going back to the latet 6.3.  We went to 6.4 for the improvements in Airgroup and the addition of getting the Chromecast to work. 

Contributor I
Re: Regular complaints of getting disconnected coming in from students

We are a small shop with one 7210 controller and about 170 APs and we are seeing exactly what you describe after moving to 6.4.2.2 from 6.4.1.0.  We are new to Aruba (about three months and counting) so we are not as familiar with the tools available to troubleshoot, but likewise we have not been able to pin it to any particular event.  We are also thinking about bumping back down to 6.4.1.0.  Our primary SSID is 802.1X, and we also provide an open SSID for students to register devices.  Most that we've heard from are on the 802.1X network but we are not sure that it is exclusive.  Would be interested to hear if 802.1X is also involved for you.

Occasional Contributor I

We are seeing the same problems in our environment.  We are seeing complaints only from our 802.1x SSID.  We are also seeing some issues where students are not able to connect at all despite fantastic signal strength and almost zero interference.  

We too upgraded to 6.4 for improvements in Airgroup.  We first started noticing problems in 6.4.2.0 but we suspect that there were some problems in 6.4.1.0 as well.  We updated to 6.4.2.2 code today to try to mitigate some of the issues.  

We are running a single 3600 as a master with 4 M3s.  We have a total of 878 access points with a mixture of 105, 130 series, and 220 series with a few 175 and 275.  We see the issues across all models.

Did you first notice the problem after you updated to 6.4?

MVP

Have any TAC cases been opened to investigate these issues?

interesting to know as I am running a hotspot network on 6.4.2.2 and I haven't heard of any issues yet but obviously the configuration is much simpler and we are running an open SSID.

Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
Contributor I

We started on 6.4.1.0 because we have AP-205s and needed 6.4 to support them, so we've not known anything different.  And, we have been in the process of rolling out Aruba across campus and replacing our previous system, so there was a lot of stuff in flux - if someone had an issue, we said "we're under construction" most times.  Eventually, we got it rolled out everywhere and things seemed OK.  From our view, 6.4.2.2 made it worse, or at least that's when we started hearing more complaints.

Thanks for all of the replies!

I have just opened a case with TAC on this issue.

I am not sure if we had this problem before 6.4.  It has been trickling up for a while and I am not sure if it goes back to this summer or earlier.

MVP

What type of APs are you using ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA

802.1x is how are students connect.  We do have a PSK network for things that have difficulty with 1x.  The examples I have are all 1x.

Logs and user-debug are uploaded to the ticket.  I will let you know what I find.

Thanks!

[ Edited ]

We have a mix of 105, 125 and 225 APs.  Within a building the model type is usually the same.

Contributor II

Aaron,

I had to double-check the post because I thought I wrote it.  We have roughly the same AP's, same complaints, almost the same controllers (was actually hoping the 7200's were better since we're just M3's still), the same reason for upgrading (chromecast) and running the same ArubaOS.  6.3 didn't seem any better for us and we also have some new AP-104's that we loan out for students in their dorms.

This year has been brutal for us.  The prior 7 were great. People want to know what's up with wifi. My best guess at this point:

wifi-complaints.png

I think there is only so much I can 'fix'.  

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: