Network Management

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Discovering unsupported/unrecognised devices

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Discovering unsupported/unrecognised devices

Posted Aug 17, 2017 03:40 AM

If I set up a scan for devices I know won't be recognised automatically (e.g. Extreme switches) how do I know what device type airwave will use, so I can set up the communication default credentials correctly?

• 2.  RE: Discovering unsupported/unrecognised devices
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 17, 2017 11:22 AM

Discovery won't pick up unknown device types.  You can add those devices manually from Device Setup -> Add.  Use router/switch or universal network devices.  The router/switch profile tries to get ports if they come from standard ARP/CDP table.  Universal network device will poll the standard MIB-II OIDs.

• 3.  RE: Discovering unsupported/unrecognised devices

Posted Aug 17, 2017 12:17 PM

Thanks Rob, I will add them manually then.  However I have found that using the "Router/Switch" device type seems to have worked better as it has discovered the LLDP neighbours and connected devces, where the  "universal device" only knows it's up. 

Oddly neither can detect the interfaces which are probably the most widely recognised standard MIBs.  I would have thought it more likely to get these right than the LLDP MIB but it repeatedly logs the error "Error in SNMP polling: Unknown error(interface_monitor)".  

It also doesn't seem to be able to get the unit mac address and sysname/location (again really basic standard RFC MIBs) which means it won't link it to the neighbour details on other devices and therefore can't tell that they are inter-connected whichis a shame as it is the upstream router for the HP switches it does understand.

It seems an odd mix of things that work and things which don't