Network Management

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 205 Client ARP tables getting wrong information

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP 205 Client ARP tables getting wrong information

Posted Oct 27, 2016 08:31 PM

Hello All, I have a standalone IAP-205 setup in the office.  Wireless devices are getting the Aruba's MAC address associated with the IP address of the default gateway.  Example: The IP address for the default gateway is 192.168.0.1 and has MAC address "A", The Aruba is assigned IP 192.168.0.220 and has MAC address "B".  Wireless clients of the aruba are getting 192.168.0.1 assigned to MAC address "B" in thier ARP table when 192.168.0.1 should be assigned to MAC address "A".  The symptoms indicate that the Aruba is responding to ARP requests with it's own MAC address instead of forwarding the ARP request to the actual gateway machine.  Any help you can offer would be sincerly appreciated.  

• 2.  RE: IAP 205 Client ARP tables getting wrong information

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2016 09:29 PM

What is 192.168.0.1?

• 3.  RE: IAP 205 Client ARP tables getting wrong information

Posted Oct 27, 2016 09:45 PM
    It is a firewall. Cisco ASA

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: IAP 205 Client ARP tables getting wrong information

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 28, 2016 02:47 AM

Do you have "broadcast filter arp" enabled on any of your SSIDs?

• 5.  RE: IAP 205 Client ARP tables getting wrong information

Posted Oct 28, 2016 10:13 AM
    No, they are set to all.

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: IAP 205 Client ARP tables getting wrong information

Posted Oct 28, 2016 12:04 PM

I may have left out a critical piece of information.  The problem is not consistent.  I have had the Aruba setup for several months.  No clients experienced an issue in the first week or two.  Then 2 clients received the incorrect ARP information, then a couple more etc.  Now, it is hit and miss while clients are connected.  I have already set static ARP entries for the Gateway on all client workstations that regularly connect to the network.  However, I can't set static ARP on mobile devices or some of our other network hardware.  As I understand it, ARP replies should only come from the device with the assigned IP address unless a device is setup to proxy the ARP for an IP address.  I think I am looking for a setting that would cause the Aruba to think it is supposed to be a proxy for the gateway.  The only place on the Aruba where the gateway IP address is shown in the settings is for the default gateway.  I hope this triggers something for one of you.  Thanks again.