Network Management

Old information about controller sticks in Airwave

Hey all!

I recently replaced a customers M3 controller with two 7220 controllers. I migrated configuration, assigned IP-adresses and made the change.

In Airwave though, one of the controllers came up in new device list since it was a backup master but the primary one was still contacted on the same old IP-address and just complained about that it had found a new mac address on the device. I clicked reset mac (maybe this was my error) and then tried to rename it to the new name but it doesn´t happen. When I view the information about it it´s all the old information about "contact", Upstream device, interfaces etc. It lists the controller as a 3600, must have been wrong the whole time since it used to be an M3.

I´m using SNMPv2 and the polling succeeds. How can I update all of this info without loosing historical data?

Thanx alot,

Christoffer Jacobsson | Aranya AB
Aruba: ACMX #537 ACCP | CWNP: CWNA CWDP CWSP CWAP

Re: Old information about controller sticks in Airwave

Have you tried a replace hardware?
You can also try an import settings from the manage page.
Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]

Hi!

Thank you for your advice. I tried changing the IP-address of the controller I wished to replace to a non-existent one so the controller appeared down. Then I added the new controller again using Device setup -> add. Finally I chose replace hardware on the down controller and picked the one I just added to replace it. The replacement was successful but it only updated the model number from 3600 to 7220.

These parameters are still stuck (wrong): Name, Upstream device, Upstream port, SNMP Contact.

I manually put auto discover upstream device to "off" and choose none. That removed the upstream device but the upstream port is still stuck. I´ve tried to rename the device but it doesn´t change.

Any more tips or will I need to delete and add? I´m running AMP 8.0.3

Thanx,

pmonardo:

I think import settings is only related to configuration and we´re only monitoring with Airwave. I would prefer not to start importing configurations to my groups as it it shared with other controller.  (We´re not auditing either)

Please correct me if I´m wrong.

Name and SNMP contact should have come up properly from the Device Setup -> Add step.

Please double check the values that SNMP responds with:

# s2w <controller ip address> <community string> <OID>

OIDs = sysName, sysContact, sysDescr

example:

# s2w 10.10.10.10 secretpw sysName

RFC1213-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: "7220-aw-rob"

If these responses are all correct, you can force a recheck of these data fields from AirWave by using the 'import settings' on the Device Manage page.  This import is different from import on the audit page.  Import settings on the manage page is only refreshing data that is checked 1-time at the time of adding the device.  Import from the audit page is what updates the group config template.

Rob Gin
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company

Hi Rob!

I verified the SNMP commands and all the values returned by the controllers are the correct new ones. When I tried the import settings I asume you mean the one where I click "Modify Devices" on the group monitor page, check the controller with the issue, and pick "Import settings from selected devices (and discard current predevice desired settings)"

When I do that, I get the error message at the top of the page: "No selected devices have settings to import."

If I click the controller with the issue and go to the "Manage" page, there´s no button for importing settings. Is this perhaps a group setting I need to enable? We have Audit set to No on the group configuration.

We´re running Airwave 8.0.3, perhaps this is solved in a more recent version?

Thanx,

Any more ideas on this or do I need to delete and readd?

odd, in my group settings i have audit to yes but Manage local configuration on controllers: set to no and i am able to import settings and i am running 8.0.0.

Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]

-edit- added missing step 3, otherwise it will complain of 2 device with same mac address

Try the following:

1) go to manage page for the controller that's showing wrong model

2) set IP to something else that won't respond to SNMP

3) in the db, set the lan_mac address to something different as well (this step is required in order to fake out the database for the replacement)

# dbc "update ap set lan_mac = '00:0B:86:11:11:11' where id=<ap_id>"

ap_id is gotten from existing controller entry's URL

4) go to device setup -> add

5) add the controller again (with correct IP)

6) confirm that it comes up with correct model

7) then go to the original controller entry (it should be reporting down by now) and do replace hardware, selecting the newer good controller entry as the replacement

This should keep historical data attached to the controller entry.

Rob Gin
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: