Security

MVP

Accounting Tab - Sometimes Missing

I'm not sure if this is by design, but the Accounting tab is not always visible in the Request Details for RADIUS authentications.  I have a laptop that has been on wifi for two days and appears to have reauthenticated at least 4 times in the last 2 days. Looking at the details of each of these authentications, only the authentication that took place two days ago has the Accounting tab.  Maybe this is intended, because the End Timestamp reads Still Active.  Under Utilization, the Active Time is 0 seconds, and there are no input/output packets.

So my questions are:

Should I see the accounting tab on every RADIUS authentication of a given client?

Should the Utilization values (active time, input packets, output packets) increment for an active connection, or are they only visible after the connection has terminated?

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Aruba

Re: Accounting Tab - Sometimes Missing

[ Edited ]
  1. Do you have a RADIUS Accounting group defined in the AAA profile?
  2. Depending on what you want to track; you can enable "RADIUS Interim Accounting" on the AAA profile and also on the CPPM Server under Server Configuration/Service Parameters page  (set to TRUE).    These settings will allow you track things like bandwidth usage for guests, etc.
------------------------------------------------
Systems Engineer, Northeast USA
ACCX | ACDX | ACMX

MVP

Re: Accounting Tab - Sometimes Missing

Yes, the controller is setup correctly.

Thanks for your recommendation about the interim accounting, that gave me an idea.  I did a CoA against the client to force a reauth and hopefully generate a stop/start accounting messages.  The client reauth'd and the details contained the accounting tab with End Timestamp Still Active.  The Request Details from 2 days ago, now displays an end timestamp and all the utilization values I was expecting to see earlier.

So without interim updates enabled, the Utilization values will not increment until a stop accounting message is sent for that accounting session.  Good to know.

Thanks for the help.

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: