Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Any more elegant solution to SSL captive portal vs. dynamic ocsp ip addressing?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Any more elegant solution to SSL captive portal vs. dynamic ocsp ip addressing?

Posted Mar 09, 2015 10:41 AM

Good day all,

The question: is there a better way to work around the captive portal over ssl vs. dynamic nature of ip address assignment of ocsp servers. I may have just missed a new feature or setting somewhere..

The "keep adding ip's to the ACL" method is very ineligant and our list for ocsp.entrust.net has topped 120 addresses since we've been keeping track. Since I don't think Akamai (the hosting provider for ocsp,entrust.net) is going to change their modus operandi any time soon, what else can be done?

Turning off ocsp checking, or teaching end users to skip through security warnings for self signed certs aren't generally acceptable options around here, so I'm trying to avoid that.

Cheers,

Todd

• 2.  RE: Any more elegant solution to SSL captive portal vs. dynamic ocsp ip addressing?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2015 10:44 AM
    Turn on DNS lookups and then add the ocsp name to a netdestination. Then add that netdestination to the captive portal whitelist.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 3.  RE: Any more elegant solution to SSL captive portal vs. dynamic ocsp ip addressing?

Posted Mar 09, 2015 10:52 AM

Thanks! I knew I was probably just missing something simple.

-todd

• 4.  RE: Any more elegant solution to SSL captive portal vs. dynamic ocsp ip addressing?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2015 11:34 AM

Sample config:

ip domain lookup
    !
    ip name-server <dns-server>
    ip name-server <dns-server>
    !
    netdestination ENTRUST-OCSP
      name ocsp.entrust.net
    !
    aaa authentication captive-portal "GUEST-SELFREG"
       white-list "ENTRUST-OCSP"
    !

• 5.  RE: Any more elegant solution to SSL captive portal vs. dynamic ocsp ip addressing?

Posted Mar 09, 2015 10:46 AM

So the issues is that users visting the captive portal are being blocked from reaching the oscp url on the internet? Is this block happening in your controller? You should be able to write a rule using a name as a destination.

Create an object in Advanced Services > Stateful Firewall > Destinations. Create a new object and under type select name. Add the hostname and then add a new rule in your guest logon firewall policy to allow this hostname?

This all assumes your controller has DNS enabled.