Security

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Auto Generated user names by attributes?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Auto Generated user names by attributes?

Posted May 13, 2011 10:29 AM
    Under Custom Guest Manager I would like to set my username type to "sequential numbering" AND have the "sequence prefix" add part of the users name or part of the company name followed by 2-3 digits. I see in the description under the"sequence prefix" section the following.

Identifier string to prepend to usernames.
    Dynamic entries based on a user attribute can be entered as '_' + attribute. For example '_role_name'.
    The username length will determine the length of the numeric sequence only. Recommend 4.

I was able to set it as describe in the example "_role_name" and I got the role "ShortTerm" followed by a few digits "ShortTerm0001"

What I am not clear about are what other attribute options are available so I can say use the users first name or company name and only the first 3 or 4 charectors of that.

Can this be done?

• 2.  RE: Auto Generated user names by attributes?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2011 09:52 PM
    If you view-source from an edit page you should see the field names. first_name, last_name, etc. If you put an underscore in front of any of these that can be the key, i.e. _first_name. There is no way to truncate the string, however.

Note that the username length for the sequence passwords just applies to the number section.

• 3.  RE: Auto Generated user names by attributes?

Posted Jan 26, 2012 06:14 AM

I have a related question to ascott.

What i intend to do is use the visitor_phone field as the guest username. Now if we use the "sequential number" method we end up with the suffix visitor_phone001,002 etc.

However, if the email address field is enabled that overrides the random username and the email address becomes the guest username.

Now what i was wondering is whether i can use the visitor_phone to become the username much like how the email address is used.

Or do i simply rename the email address field to mobile number so the guests are providing me mobile numbers instead of emails and amigopod generates the username as the mobile number.  which i tested and it works, but i guess is not the right way to do it.

Regards,

• 4.  RE: Auto Generated user names by attributes?

Posted Jan 27, 2012 02:15 AM

that is very possible and we actually do have customers using the phone number as a username.  So the trick is to actually add the 'username' field to any form, and rename the label/description to reflect.  Now just make sure that if you are using SMS delivery anywhere you set the field to use as the 'username' field instead of the default 'visitor_phone'

the username field should trump the email address field on any form.

hope this helps

carlos