Security

Occasional Contributor II

Captive Portal Reauthentication Timer

[ Edited ]

I have setup a captive portal using LDAP, I have everything working just fine for logins and gaining access to the web. My question is with setting a timer so a user only has to Authenticate once a day. Right now everytime a user gets disconnected from the network due to moving around and or shutting down thier device they have to reauthenticate everytime. I have tried almost every setting with not luck and now i'm looking for help.

I have tweaked all these with no luck 

User Idle Timeout

Logon User Lifetime (min)

Re-authentication Interval

Model : Aruba 7210-US

Version: 6.3.0.1

MVP

Re: Captive Portal Reauthentication Timer

Are you using ClearPass guest or the controller captive portal?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Occasional Contributor II

I'm using the built in CP from the controller. 

MVP

What's current value on the user idle timeout ? This should help you out

show aaa timers

Are clients roaming to another controller ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Guru Elite

Unfortunately without using some type of MAC caching, a device that disconnects and then ages out of the user-table will always go into the initial-role which will require authentication.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba ClearPass TME
@timcappalli | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480 / ACEAP / CWSP
Frequent Contributor I

Are the aaa timers global settings?

For a specific VAP/SSID with captive portal I need 24hrs without reauthentication, but with these "aaa timers" it is impossible.

Are there issues for 255min (the maximum) for logon-lifetime?

Guru Elite

The AAA timer is global, so you should not touch that.  If you need to have a client reauthenticate less, you should use the Captive Portal user-idle-timeout parameter in the Captive Portal Authentication Profile:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/1CommandList/aaa_authentication_captive.htm

" Valid range is 30-15300 in multiples of 30 seconds. Enabling this option overrides the global settings configured in the AAA timers. If this is disabled, the global settings are used"

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Frequent Contributor I

Thank you Colin.

Our version is 6.1 and the user-idle-timeout parameter is 6.3. We have the memory limitation of 3200.

We have 3 VAPs (2 802.1x/EAP-TLS and 1 Captive portal) on a 1 master/4 local controllers configuration.

What are the issues if I set global user-idle-timeout to 15300?

Guru Elite

Increasing the global timer means that users will be in the user table long after they have already left. This will give you an inflated count of the number of users that are really on your network.
Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: