Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive Portal become not responding state every other day

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Captive Portal become not responding state every other day

Posted Jul 04, 2014 02:58 AM

Hello there,

We have 2 Aruba Mobility controller 3400 series which had HA configuration and 1 ADSL modem for guest connections.Topology for captive portal is adsl modem directly connected to controllers, modem has dhcp for guests but there is a captive portal does not responding issue keeps repeating until we gonna reset the adsl modem.When we do it, it works for 24 hours or so then keeps repeating no respond and we should reset the adsl modem again.

We thought problem creating by adsl modem, so we changed it with another adsl modem which is complately diffirent company and had technology but the issue is keep repeating.

Do you have any idea why is it doing that, or you have any suggestions that i could look and check configs?

Ah btw another problem is sometimes our internal wireless computers (which are authenticated by Microsoft Radius) are get guest vlan ip, how could it happen?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Captive Portal become not responding state every other day

Posted Jul 04, 2014 04:47 AM

I would like to add an aditional information : guest users didnt get ip from guest vlan, when CP does not response, this is why we always restart the adsl modem.

• 3.  RE: Captive Portal become not responding state every other day

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 04, 2014 07:45 AM

If the user does not get DHCP, the Captive Portal will not come up....Correct.

• 4.  RE: Captive Portal become not responding state every other day

Posted Jul 04, 2014 11:50 AM
    Since captive portal is a L3 authentication then the user requires an IP address. I would try plugging a PC into that same port when the issue happens to see if you can replicate the issue. If so it's on the modem side. I would also confirm after that if you statically assign your PC an IP on that subnet if you can reach the Internet as well. If so then I'd probably just disable the DHCP server on the modem and provision a small scope on the controller.

• 5.  RE: Captive Portal become not responding state every other day

Posted Jul 08, 2014 05:27 PM

Is there a guide to provisioning a scope on the controller for captive portal, guest users?