Frequent Contributor II

Chrome and Captive portal redirects to

I've gotten some tickets from users who are attempting to access our captive portal SSID, and when the CP redirect occurs they are sent to  When this happens, they get a cert error and cannot proceed to the logon page unless they attempt to go to an http page instead.  It appears that Google Chrome has removed the ability to set a homepage manually in version 51.0.2704.81.  It seems in this new version the default page when opening a new tab is or a blank page showing your most recent/viewed pages.

I see there is an option under the Authentication -> L3 Authentication -> Captive Portal section called "Use HTTP for authentication".  

I am wondering if enabling this feature would solve the above scenario. Short of telling users to use a different browser, that is.

rwin = 0
Guru Elite

Re: Chrome and Captive portal redirects to

You could do that, but guest credentials will be sent in the clear.

One thing you can try is to create a redirect page inside ClearPass that redirects to your self-reg/weblogin.

Point the controller to that initial redirect page using HTTP.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security
@timcappalli | | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Frequent Contributor II

Well the guest credentials are simply their email address with no validation.  So I'm not sure if that is a huge security concern.  If enabling this feature would bypass the redirection to than we may go ahead and do that.

rwin = 0

You are not redirected to; is redirected to your captive portal and that is causing the warning.

Check this blog post for the why and how; and some suggestions for a workaround.

If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: