Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass categories of static IP devices

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  ClearPass categories of static IP devices

Posted Aug 21, 2018 04:45 AM

Hi, I have a problem to manually classified some network devices. There are static IP network cameras which are not profiled by DHCP profiller and when I want to Update/Add Fingerprint Network Camera/HikVision/HikVision Camera there is an error: "Device Category/Family/Name combination is invalid."

Is there any way how to solve that ?

Thanks

Vaclav

• 2.  RE: ClearPass categories of static IP devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2018 05:40 AM

You can use the Update FingerPrint option  for the device that are already profiled. (For e.g. Devices that are profiled as generic/unknown/etc).

Subnet scan would help you to profile the static devices in the network.

Try configuring the subnets under Configuration >> Profile and network Scan.

You may also try adding the Camers under Guest Devices and allow access using the [Guest Device Repository] as auth source, if the numbers are low.

• 3.  RE: ClearPass categories of static IP devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2018 02:06 AM

The combination of Category/Family/Name needs to be in the fingerprint dictionary (Administration » Dictionaries » Fingerprints). If you add the desired combination there, you can select it.

Check out this video where I show how to create a new combination (and automatically profile devices with DHCP into that category, which is not applicable in your case of static IP).

• 4.  RE: ClearPass categories of static IP devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2018 06:56 AM

Hi Herman,

The combination exists in the dictionary.

fingerprint_combination.jpg

I suspect the error is the result of endpoints/devices not being profiled already in this case (as generic/unknown/<other>).

Error: "Device Category/Family/Name combination is invalid."

Btw, nice explanation on Custom Fingerprints :)