Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass AD caching and EAP-TLS question

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Clearpass AD caching and EAP-TLS question

Posted Jan 26, 2016 05:14 AM

When you have caching enabled on AD authentication source, does it cache the password/password hash at all, or is the password checked against the AD every time a user authenticates towards a Radius service on the clearpass? (typically eap-peap)

I know group memberships and Authorization data is cached, but unsure about passwords.

Now regarding EAP-TLS authentification to wireless network. As I understand, the user account password is never part of the authentication exchange. Authentication is achived by verifing the key-pairs of the configured certificates, and the AD user account password is never exposed in the auth request to the 802.11x SSID. The EAP-TLS wireless would then never be responsible for a locked out windows account (to many failed auth attempts).

It is very clear to me that is have to work in a BYOD clearpass onboard deployment, but is that always the case even when windows domain computers are configured to use EAP-TLS?

• 2.  RE: Clearpass AD caching and EAP-TLS question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2016 06:58 AM

Passwords are not cached.  Authorization can optionally do a lookup via LDAP to see if the username on the EAP-TLS certificate is still in AD to make sure the user has not been locked out or account disabled.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass AD caching and EAP-TLS question

Posted Jan 26, 2016 07:03 AM

And I am correct in saying that the password is never exposed during EAP-TLS authentication?

Even on domain windows computers the password is not part of the auth exchange.

• 4.  RE: Clearpass AD caching and EAP-TLS question
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2016 07:12 AM

There is no password in an EAP-TLS exchange.  Correct.