Security

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass Guest - HTTP session "Unrecognized Name"

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Clearpass Guest - HTTP session "Unrecognized Name"

Posted Jan 12, 2015 07:11 AM
      |   view attached

Hi All,

Last week, I ran into an issue I'd not seen before.

The end-user's Clearpass version is 6.1.4.61038. It's a global setup, so upgrading is a bit tricky for the time being.

The Clearpass subscriber in use in this case, is in the UK HQ, as are a pair of 7000 series controllers. The (Clearpass) Guest service works perfectly in this site.

Last week, we added a controller at a nearby factory site, as a local of the master in the HQ, and enabled the guest VAP on it (AP groupings etc). Initially, this was driving the guests out of a broadband circuit at the factory. At this point, I couldn't get the guest registration page to render in the browser. A packet capture of the session on the guest, seems to show responses from Clearpass stating "Unrecognized Name". See attached screenshot.

I'm not sure what could cause this message, but I tried a quick follow on test to rule some things out. Literally all I did next, was change the local controller (at the factory), so that it sent guest traffic into a GRE tunnel to the master in the HQ (on the guest VLAN there). Having done this, it works as expected. Note, I changed no profiles in the VAP to achieve this.

We know you can reach the Clearpass guest reg pages directly off the factory broadband circuit directly, as we did a test for this.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Clearpass Guest - HTTP session "Unrecognized Name"

Posted Jan 12, 2015 08:11 AM
    Are you using HTTPS?

If so do you have a public SSL cert for the ClearPass HTTPS ?

• 3.  RE: Clearpass Guest - HTTP session "Unrecognized Name"

Posted Jan 12, 2015 08:17 AM

It is HTTPs, and the cert is publicly signed.

At the HQ end, it was tested extensively with loads of browsers an client OS types to be sure.