Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass Onboard - Proxy server must be resolvable

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Clearpass Onboard - Proxy server must be resolvable

Posted Jul 01, 2014 09:56 PM

Hi All,

I've just run into a strange issue with CPPM 6.3.3..

When creating a network profile for Onboard, i am trying to enter in a hostname for the mobile device proxy server. 

The problem i've found is that unless the proxy hostname is resolvable by local DNS, you can't enter the data in.

For example, if I put in proxy.test.com, this works as for some reason proxy.test.com is a public hostname. 

If i put in proxy.test.com.au then the form validation fails and tells me it's not valid.

In the backend i can see that the CPPM server does a DNS lookup to query the entered hostname. This doesn't sound right to me, why does CPPM need to resolve network settings for a provisioned device?

snapshot.jpg

Anybody else seen this or had this problem?

Scott

• 2.  RE: Clearpass Onboard - Proxy server must be resolvable

Posted Aug 25, 2014 05:50 AM

i experience the same (version 6.3), not really sure if this is logical or not, it can help you prevent making mistakes, but an override would be nice.

anyway, i think there are two things workarounds, add the entry to the DNS server the CPPM polls, or change the DNS server of the CPPM to one that has this entry. for AD auth you already want to use your AD integrated DNS server, so adding the entry there shouldnt be an issue in my opinion.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass Onboard - Proxy server must be resolvable

Posted Sep 08, 2014 05:02 PM

duplicate post

• 4.  RE: Clearpass Onboard - Proxy server must be resolvable

Posted Sep 08, 2014 05:03 PM

Good to hear it's not just me having this issue.

I ended up raising a TAC case and they seemed to suggest it was by design and not a bug.

Yes the workaround you suggested are fine, my case was simply trying to lab test a customer setup before going live on site and was resolved with dummy dns entries.