Security

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass - two AD domains in the same service

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Clearpass - two AD domains in the same service

Posted Feb 04, 2015 03:45 AM

Hello!

First time for everything right? I have a SSID that needs to authenticate to two different AD's.

I have CPPM joined to both AD domains, and have one service with both of these as Auth Source.

The issue I face is that the same username exists in both AD's and it seems that the auth source ignores the domain I add to the username.

domain1\username1

domain2\username1

If I try domain2\user1 it results in a failed auth from domain1 and deny the user to log in.

I find this in the access tracker (modified names..)

rlm_ldap: searching for user domain2\username1 in AD:domain1
    rlm_ldap: found user domain2\username1 in AD:domain1
    rlm_eap_mschapv2: Received MSCHAPv2 Response from client
    rlm_mschap: authenticating user username1, domain domain2
    rlm_mschap: user username1 authentication failed
    rlm_mschap: AD status:Logon failure (0xc000006d)
    rlm_mschap: FAILED: MS-CHAP2-Response is incorrect

Why would it even look for the user in domain1 when I explicitly prefix the username with domain2? Does this imply some sort of trust between the domains?

Is there a fail-through mechanism or any other mechanism I should look at to get around this?

I don't really see another way to solve this so I need some assistance from you guys.

• 2.  RE: Clearpass - two AD domains in the same service

Posted Feb 04, 2015 06:53 AM

How do you have configured as backup AD server or as new authentication source ?

Please read this:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/What-is-the-best-way-to-authenticate-users-via-multiple-domains/ta-p/181644

A couple of things:

- You could decrease the Server Timeout to a lower value (You may want to verify this with TAC)

- Another that you might need to is that if theres no trust between the two entities you might want to add the second domain server as Password server 

2015-02-04 06_47_31-ClearPass Policy Manager - Aruba Networks.png

• 3.  RE: Clearpass - two AD domains in the same service

Posted Feb 04, 2015 07:27 AM

Thanks Victor. I'll check out that page.

While waiting I ended up just creating a second service and added a test for the name of the domain in the radius:ietf:user-name. It gets the job done so I'm happy for now.